Weekly Theme 12th March 2018 - History

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone. I must first offer my apologies for the late publication of the theme this week. I got sidetracked by other work yesterday and only realised my error when I was already in bed late last night! If you were hoping to get out shooting something fresh for the theme yesterday please accept my apologies! So, with no further delay, let’s get thinking about the new theme….

This week’s theme is History

As photographers I’m sure we’ve all encountered lots of places that just ooze history, being visiting stately homes on family holidays or browsing through old books in a junk shop. The options are almost endless with this theme but here are a few ways of illustrating it that sprang to my mind.

Living in a place like the UK we have so many buildings of historic importance. Charities such as the National Trust and English Heritage (and similar groups all over the world) look after an almost endless supply of historic buildings. Of course, not all historic places need to be grand buildings. In this beautiful photo by David Brooks a simple stone cottage has been left to disintegrate back into the landscape. I can’t help wondering about the people who once lived there and the shape of their lives.

Don’t overlook the possibility of using people to impart a sense of history. Daniel Jacobs took this fabulous portrait at a workshop in an old shipyard in Australia where they learnt about the people and history of the place, as well as how to take great portraits. I love the wistful look in the eyes of this chap and feel he could tell us so many amazing stories!

Of course, the planet we live on has a long history too. I’m lucky enough to work at Hatfield Forest, which was created around a thousand years ago as King Henry I’s Royal hunting forest. Some of the trees have been growing for many centuries and I feel they get more beautiful as they age. This hornbeam is probably at least 500 years old. Despite its rotten core it still thrives and provides a habitat for a multitude of animal and insect species.

I hope that’s given you some inspiration to go out and shoot - I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 18th March.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

The winner of last week’s silence theme is @lthatch, with an adorable close up feline portrait. There’s a real sense of trust in this beautiful picture.

Congratulations LuAnn!

(Lu Ann Thatcher) #2

Thanks to everyone that voted for my photograph of Theodore! He is such a ham for the camera. I am excited about Helen’s (@girafferacing) next challenge, history, so let’s go shoot something!!

(Lisa Britton) #3

This was taken a couple of weeks ago at the Morongo Preserve. I think it is a perfect fit for this weeks theme “History” this guy looks like he’s been thru everything, can you imagine the stories he could tell. This old guy says history to me, that was not my reason for taking the photo at the time, but I believe it is a perfect description,

(Camellia Staab) #4

(Berckmans Peter) #5

For this weeks topic I choose Venus, throughout history she is depicted as the ideal image of a woman. This one stand at “Schloss Drachenburg” in Königswinter - Germany, based on the Venus of Milo;

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #6

German wedding gift in 1906, Tramp Art (1870-1940)

(Helen Hooker) #7

I seem to have spent most of this week photographing old churches - this 12th century beauty seems to fit the history concept quite well.

(Kenny H) #8

I took this back in 2008, at a rally on my street one afternoon. This is history that may never repeat itself in my lifetime.
20180315_235922

(Phil Child) #9

In 1779 The first bridge built from Iron in the world, was opened to the paying public.
cast at the Coalport works where Abraham Darby had learnt to cast Iron using coke allowing larger stronger casts to be made made the monument in history to be made.

(Phil Child) #10

Steam trains the back bone of the industrial revolution

(Phil Child) #11

Steam Engine

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #12

Oh yes, this is a very famous bridge - and the picture … wow!

(Phil Child) #13

you’d not recognise it at the moment, it has a big plastic bag over it, as english heritage is repairing it

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #14

I saw it in a BBC documentation … So I have to wait until it will be restored into full glory! :smile: