Weekly theme 12th November 2018 - Changing Seasons

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone!

I don’t know what it’s like in your part of the world at the moment, but here in the UK there’s a definite sense that we’re moving from autumn into winter. The days are getting shorter and colder and while the trees still have some autumn colour, it’ll only take a stormy day for the leaves to be blown to the ground.

With that in mind, I thought we’d have a seasonal theme to shoot for this week. Whether you’re in the northern or southern hemisphere, things are changing and I’m sure we can all find a way to shoot for this one…

This week’s theme is Changing Seasons

The autumn is one of my favourite seasons to photograph. The beautiful colours on the trees transform the landscape into a riot of colour, just before the starkness of winter. This was the scene outside my office window recently. The low afternoon sun backlighting the golden leaves was absolutely glorious and I had just a couple of minutes to capture this before the sun disappeared behind the tree line.

Of course, there’s nothing to stop you bringing a little of that autumn colour indoors and creating a still life image, as Zhen Hu has here. Such images look effortless, but it takes creativity and imagination to find the perfect composition.

Alternatively, you may prefer to capture a more dynamic sense of the changing seasons - for instance shooting the shifting weather patterns. Here JW has given a real sense of the drama that the changing seasons can bring.

I hope that’s given you some inspiration to get out and shoot - I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 18th November
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

The abstract nature of last week’s theme drew slightly fewer entries but we had some really creative thinking so many thanks to those who took part. Our winner was @turtlesnaps with this imaginative take on the concept - congratulations Bethany!

(Jon) #2

(Kenny H) #3

Wissahickon Creek, Philadelphia:
Fresh snowfall

(Bethany Plonski) #4

Wow, thank you! :smile: I was not expecting that!

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #5

Seasonal change of clothes …

(Abigail Gossage) #6

A few poppies at the Cenotaph linger in the slush left from last night’s snowfall.

(Bethany Plonski) #7

Still life from the forest floor :smiley:

(D Vgz) #8

(Helen Hooker) #9

As usual, I had my photo ready but forgot to add it before the deadline - I should know better, given that I set the deadline!! :rofl: This is the acer tree in our garden. It positively glows at this time of year and I wanted to catch the colours before they’re all on the ground. The combination of the autumnal colours and the stark shadows of the already bare branches seemed rather appropriate for the changing seasons theme.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #10

Here, in South India we have only two seasons, summer and monsoon season. The rains have stopped, the cloudy sky, pouring rains and dark clouds are a memory.