Weekly theme 14th January 2019 - Portraits

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone. I hope you’re all having a great week so far.

I thought we’d head back to a pretty self-explanatory subject for this week’s theme and it’s one that was suggested a while back by @strohschneider-laue. Thank you Sigrid!

This week’s theme is Portraits

People photography can take many forms, from formal headshots, to environmental portraits and candid street photography. I thought for this one I thought I’d suggest we head towards the more formal end of the scale. This doesn’t mean you need to have a sit down portrait session with someone, unless that’s your thing of course! That would be well beyond my comfort zone, but there are other options too.

If you feel comfortable taking portraits of people, directing them to get the best of them and the available light, you might want to use those skills here. Mohammad Metri has made wonderful use of light in this low key portrait.

If formal studio portraits aren’t really your thing, you could always take your shoot outdoors. Children can make great models and there’s no reason why your picture can’t include more than one person. Sasin Tipchai’s beautiful family portrait shows the touching relationship between grandmother and grandson, and the family cat even muscles in on the action!

Another possibility is to shoot an environmental portrait. If you know someone who works in an interesting location, why not ask if you can capture their portrait there? The following picture is one I took at in the blacksmith’s forge at the Weald and Downland Living Museum some years ago. The man in the photo is a volunteer there, but he was delighted to pose for a photo as he went about his job.

So there are three contrasting options for you to enjoy and to whet your appetite. It’s entirely up to you whether you photograph a family member, a model, someone you work with or ven a complete stranger. Whatever you choose, I’m sure we’re in for a great mix of portraits! Happy shooting!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 20th January
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

What a wonderful variety of images we had for last week’s ‘it’s all in the detail’ theme! Our runaway winner was @turtlesnaps with this fabulous close up of some fungi. Congratulations Bethany!

(Bethany Plonski) #2

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing everyone’s portraits this week.

(Kenny H) #3

Its no secret that I’m a fan of B&W, and with that being said, I submit a portrait of myself:

(L A Magee) #4

The imagination of boy with a toy fire truck. He would spend all day playing with his toy fire truck… making the sirens go off, raising & lowering the ladder and just simply driving it around.

(Lisa Britton) #5

(Lakshmi Bhat) #7

DSC00419
This is in Sofia, Bulgaria. We were there a few years ago.
I asked the lady if I could take her photo. She agreed.

(Gianluigi Gg) #8

(Rachel The Introvert) #10

Of all the portraits I love to take the ones of my children are my favorite. Even of my serious little guy who rarely smiles for me. Took this for Christmas and though he didn’t crack a smile I just love it to pieces.

(Amber Josephine) #11

I uploaded a colour version of this image several days ago as part of my 365 project. Soon after my wife (who is the subject here) asked if it was possible to get a black and white version for herself - I dare say this version turned out better than the original!

(Bethany Plonski) #12

I know next to nothing about portraits, so when I saw this week’s theme, I was looking forward to getting some practice with them. Then life decided to throw us a curveball, and it has been a real struggle to focus while we’ve coped with the loss of one of our dogs. So, I owe a huge thanks to my sweet husband Andrew for having the patience to work with me while I learned to use a wireless app with my camera for a shot that reflects what this week has been like for us.

(Helen Hooker) #13

I guess there’s no reason why a portrait has to be a human being… This is Teddy, our newest neighbour.

(Heidi Egerman) #14

Better late than never. Inspired by Helen’s post. This is Coco. Up close and personal.