Weekly theme 15th July 2019 - Leading lines

(Helen Hooker) #1

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the how aspects of photography recently - how we compose images and how we achieve good exposures - in preparation for various workshops I have coming up. One of the most important elements is creating effective compositions so our images really grab the viewer’s attention.

When we start getting into photography seriously we use so called rules to help us, such as the rule of thirds. Of course they’re not rules at all - merely guidelines to get us looking at the world in a particular way. That said, they can be a very useful way to step aside from the one most of us use initially - bung the subject in the middle of the picture!

It’s a while since we had a technique related theme, so I thought a compositional one might be interesting so here we have our theme for the coming week….

This week’s theme is Leading lines

Lines are a very strong element in many pictures - they can lead your viewer into the frame, or out of it. They help guide the eye around the image and can be immensely powerful. Here are a few ideas I’ve raided from my own catalogue of pictures to get you thinking about this concept, although I’m sure you’ll find plenty of your own ideas too.

When I was in Cambridge last week I was rather taken with this path, which leads to Jesus College. When I last visited the buildings were covered in scaffolding, which rather spoilt the view! Now it’s gone, the path, walls and bicycles all create lines, which lead you into the image, converging on the archway in the distance.

Sometimes lines can act in a more subtle way. In this image the trees on the left act as a frame for the classic cars. However, the arch of the branch also leads you up and over towards them

And then sometimes the leading line can be implied rather than physical. In this image of a Scottish Wildcat, the animal’s eyeline leads us through the picture. It was important that I composed this so the cat had some space to look into - had her face been closer to the left hand edge of the frame it would have felt less comfortable for the viewer.

So there are a few ideas to whet your appetite. Now it’s your turn to go out and seek some leading lines. Your subject could be absolutely anything - just use the lines around us (real or implied) to help guide your viewer around the frame. I can’t wait to see what we all come up with!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 21st July
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We went on a wonderful world tour with last week’s landmarks theme. We have two winners -

@giancaf with a beautiful photo of Urbino in Italy

And @turtlesnaps with a lighthouse on St Simons Island in Georgia.

Congratulations to you both!

(Berckmans Peter) #2

A nice perspective

(Lakshmi Bhat) #4

A home

(Lisa Britton) #5

(Piotr Matura) #6

Pier in Sopot, Poland

At 511.5m, the pier is the longest wooden pier in Europe. This view is captured at the beginning of the pier, its end is hidden by perspective.

(Gianluigi Gg) #7

Iceland

(Gianluigi Gg) #8

Svalbard

(Kenny H) #9

(Piotr Matura) #10

Railway captured from overpass (through safety fence) in late afternoon light.

(Berckmans Peter) #11

(Bethany Plonski) #12

Thank you everyone for the votes last week! This week I had to dig up something from the archives.

(Helen Hooker) #13

Deadline extended until Sunday 28th July - why not enter a second image this week? :slight_smile:

(Jolien Dekens) #14

Since there are already so many buildings and roads, I’m going to take a different approach to the subject :wink:
Leading lines in nature :smiley:

(Eiram Marie) #15

(Kenny H) #16

Second entry :grinning:

(Russell Smith) #17

(Lakshmi Bhat) #18

A second entry :blush: