Weekly theme 15th October 2018 - Landscapes

(Helen Hooker) #1

Weekly theme 15th October 2018 - Landscapes

I hope you all had a great weekend and were able to get out and about with your cameras. Let’s jump straight in and get going with the theme for the new week.

This week’s theme is Landscapes

Last week my latest article was published over on the Photoblog learning pages, all about landscape photography. It contains lots of useful tips to help you take better photos in the great outdoors, so I thought I’d tie the theme in with the subject this week.

Do take a read of the article - you may find some concepts in there that you’ve never considered before. If you find it handy please do share it with others and encourage them to join in too.

Here are a few ideas and images to get you started….

While it’s wonderful to travel to exotic locations to shoot landscapes, don’t overlook places close to you, or beauty spots you visit regularly. It’s easy for familiarity to make you take these places for granted. This is a picture I took very recently at a place I visit twice a year for my music work. I never tire of this view and it’s a joy to photograph it through the seasons.

One way to instantly improve your landscape photos it to make sure you always shoot in the best light. The midday sun illuminates the landscape in a very harsh way, but if you can move your shoot to the hour either side of sunrise or sunset you’ll get a much more sympathetic result. In this gorgeous picture by Luca Micheli he’s captured so called ‘golden hour’ beautifully and the path creates a great leading line to transport us into the image.

Using some foreground interest is another great way to lead your viewer through your pictures. Here Rodrigo Soares has done exactly that, including the nearby rocks to draw us in.

For your entry this week, why pick one of the tips in my article and use it to compose a great landscape image. When you share your picture, please do tell us where it was taken and how you went about shooting it. It may be you decide to shoot with a particular lens, or to frame the image in a special way.

I’m really looking forward to seeing all your pictures!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 21st October
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

Many thanks for all your fantastic entries for last week’s wildlife theme. We had a great variety of different beasts and no fewer than four winners - congratulations to you all!

@edevost

@peterphotowalks

@turtlesnaps

@twilightgecko

(Camellia) #2

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #3

Villa Beatrice (Italy, Veneto, Colli Euganei)

(Berckmans Peter) #4

A view on the river Mun in Satuk, Thailand. My home from home

(Abigail Gossage) #6

Arnprior, Ontario taken last Saturday

(Suraj Kiran) #8

Mackinac Bridge

(David Swatton) #9

Bwlch Nant yr Arian, Wales

(Arleta) #10

Greaterpoland in the morning

(David Allen) #11

Cadair Idris and the Mawddach Estuary

(Sherry Hill) #12

i gotta chime in… this is in Vermont…

(Kenny H) #13

Wissahickon Creek, Philadelphia

(Ram Ya) #14

This photo is number 5 out of 14-day challenge I am doing now. You can see more of this series at my blog

(Deli Tlb) #15

Dubai- View of 124th floor Burj Khalifa ( the tallest building)

(Ram Ya) #16

I like that lens flare! It adds to the photo.

(Bethany Plonski) #17

The Crags - Divide, CO

(Deli Tlb) #18

Thank you very much Ram

(Helen Hooker) #19

For once I got out to shoot something for the theme before the end of the week - makes a change! These are the glorious autumn colours at Hatfield Forest, where I work.

(Lisa Britton) #20

(Ram Ya) #21

Great photo, Helen! I knew this is from you even without looking at userid :slight_smile: