Weekly theme 16th April 2019 - History

(Helen Hooker) #1

Once again I have to apologise profusely for being 24 hours late with the weekly theme. I realised I hadn’t yet posted it at 11.30 last night and figured I’d probably do a better job doing so today rather than in my sleepy state last night! I promise to try and be more punctual again in the coming weeks. So, without further ado, let’s get going…

This week’s theme is History

The inspiration for the concept behind the new theme is a rather sad one - the awful fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Seeing images of the destruction on the news made me seek out the photo I took there back in 2008. It’s a pretty hopeless picture, but provides me with a memory of our visit to this glorious building. Hopefully, in a few years Notre Dame will be restored to its former splendour.

Your challenge this week is to share some of the historic places and moments you’ve photographed either recently or in the past.

As many of you will know, I love photographing historic architecture, and I had a wonderful opportunity at the weekend. My work took me to Ushaw College near Durham, in north eastern England. St. Cutherbert’s Chapel at Ushaw College was designed by none other than Augustus Pugin - perhaps better known for designing the Elizabeth Tower (home to Big Ben) and the Houses of Parliament in London. The Chapel is an amazing building - a complete riot of colour and form. I haven’t had a chance to post my photos from Ushaw College yet, but here’s one to give you an idea of the sheer gaudiness of this historic building.

Sometimes one gets to witness historic events, as much as places. Back in 2011 I was in London on the day the Occupy London Stock Exchange sit in began. The police had prevented the protesters from getting into Paternoster Square, where the Stock Exchange is, so they congregated instead on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was all remarkably peaceful, so I felt confident enough walking through the cordon to photograph this moment. Today I would probably take time to photograph things in more detail, but I was new to street photography then unsure how close I could get to things!

Last year we took a trip to Orkney, where they do history on an altogether larger scale. These small islands are awash with Neolithic history, in the shape of stone circles, burial sites and ancient settlements. This is the village of Skara Brae, which dates back to around 3000BC - that makes some of the Egyptian pyramids look relatively recent!

So it’s over to you now - let’s see what historic places and moments you’ve been witness to!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 21st April
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

@Turtlesnaps is on a bit of a roll with the weekly theme at the moment as her beautiful floral image took first place once again. Congratuations Bethany!

(Kenny H) #2

Qin Dynasty 210 - 209
Emperor Qin Shi Huang was buried along with hundreds of Terracotta Army not only as funerary art, but as protection to the afterlife. I had the privilege of seeing this exhibit on its one-time-only tour in Philadelphia. The tomb held more than 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses, and 150 cavalry horses. This exhibit had over 60 peices.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #3

DSC02043
We were in Lothal in the state of Gujarat in 2011. Lothal is one of the sites of the ancient Indus valley civilization. People lived here more than 4000 years ago. It was also a very busy port. This is a photo of the drainage system of town. The town was well organised with a very efficient drainage system, granary, dockyard and so on. It was a dream come true for me to stand in that place. We grew up read about the Indus valley civilization.

(Helen Hooker) #4

I think I’d class this as history in the making - part of the ongoing Extinction Rebellion demonstrations in London today. If we don’t start taking better care of our planet we’ll all be part of history!

(Olga Helys) #5

The central portal of the Last Judgment. Notre Dame Cathedral in Amiens, 80 France in 2016
HISTORY
French Gothic architecture of XIV°S, famous for its sculptures of XIII°S
The largest cathedral in France by its interior volumes (200 000 m3), richer than Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris: with its many canvases, stained glass windows, organs, frame, arrow and especially a treasure, the relic of the head of Saint John the Baptist

(Lee Santiva) #6

The chimera were added to the Gallery of the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris between 1843 and 1864 during the radical restoration overseen by Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc.

(Gianluigi Gg) #7

_Luxor_Temple

(Jerry Rhodes) #8

Well, it’s not a photo I’d normally post but since we’re talking history, here goes.

Underneath the streets of Jerusalem runs a tunnel called Hezekiah’s Tunnel.

King Hezekiah was a king in Jerusalem during the attempted siege on Jerusalem by Sennacherib, king of Assyria.

Hezekiah had a problem. The main source to Jerusalem’s water lie outside the city gates. To ensure the city had water during the siege and the Assyrian’s did not, Hezekiah had his engineers devise a plan. They stopped the above ground source to the water and dug a tunnel through 1750 feet of solid bed rock through which the water would flow. The outlet for the tunnel inside the city was the Pool of Siloam.

The engineering feat in this endeavor was the fact that 2 teams started chiseling through the bedrock, one at each end, and met in the middle.

When the tunnel was rediscovered, they found on the wall inside the tunnel a plaque which talked about the two team were 3 cubits apart and they could each hear the other team chiseling and talking until they finally broke through.

The tunnel is open today for anyone who wants to take a walk on the wild side. Oh, and you should know that it is DARK and there is water. Depending on the time of year. There was about 2 1/2 feet of water when we went through.

(Bethany Plonski) #9

Tenant house from a restored 1930s-era cotton farm in Georgia

(Sky Hayward) #10

This is a sacred site made by the Coast Salish people in B.C. Canada. I’m not sure how old it is but it goes back before European settlers. It’s also a secret site.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #11

Fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

(Lee Santiva) #12

Thank you to everyone who liked my photo in this challenge, it was quite a honor to be chosen the “winner” among all the good entries.