Weekly theme 16th December - Movement

(Helen Hooker) #1

Good morning everyone. Many apologies for being a few hours late writing this - life just conspired against me yesterday! Let’s crack on and set our new theme…

This week’s theme is Movement

With the pre-Christmas rush in full swing this seemed a good choice for this week! You’ve got almost endless opportunities available to you here as you could capture a sense of movement in almost any subject, but here are a few ideas which sprang to my mind.

A classic way to show movement in an image is by panning with a fast moving subject at a slow shutter speed. This keeps the subject sharp (with practice at least!) and the movement of the background blurs to create a sense of speed. I did exactly this at Goodwood a few months ago as we watched the historic motor racing there. This picture was shot at 1/160 of a second - not a particularly slow shutter speed, but slower than the car and enough to create that background blur.

Another option is to use a slow shutter speed to blur the movement of people or objects as they travel through your frame. This is one of the photos I took in Westminster on our general election day last week. I wanted to show a sense of location while also capturing the never ending flow of people as they rush through the city.

Don’t be afraid to try different techniques for this theme. Two that spring to mind immediately as zoom blur and intentional camera movement. With zoom blur, you use a slowish shutter speed and then twist the zoom ring on your camera while the shutter is open. This creates a unique look, which varies depending on whether you’re zooming in or out at the time. Here Robert Zunikoff has created a very dynamic image with some pool balls.

Intentional Camera Movement (or ICM) is another technique where the camera moves rather than the subject. The possibilities are endless here, as you can move the camera in straight lines or curves and at any speed you wish. You’ll get a different result every single time (including many that don’t work at all!) but it’s very satisfying when you hit upon a shot that clicks. This image by Eleonora Di Mauro shows the possibilities of this technique.

So there you have a handful of ideas - now it’s up to us to go out and capture movement in the way that works best for us!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 22nd December.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Our runaway winner this week was @nickam with his glorious landscape image from the Serengeti. Congratulations Nick!

(Nick Ambrose) #2

Thanks Helen! That’s good memories for me of a fantastic holiday in Tanzania!

(Nick Ambrose) #3

Movement No 1

(Nick Ambrose) #4

Movement No 2 ICM

(Nick Ambrose) #5

Movement No 3 Panning

(Nancy Andrea D) #6

Dancing the night away

(Kenny H) #7

“Neck and Neck”

(Russell Smith) #8

(Nick Ambrose) #9

Movement No.4 Frozen movement.

(Kenny H) #10

It’s been a few days, I was wondering…can we submit more than one photo now?

(Gary Luker) #11

Coco on the move…

(Helen Hooker) #12

Please feel free to offer as many as you like Ken - just pop on them on separate posts please so folks can vote for the one they like best!

(Helen Hooker) #13

I played with capturing movement during a visit to Tate Britain yesterday. This spot among the Henry Moore sculptures seemed like a good spot to wait for folks to stroll by!