Weekly theme 16th September - A sense of atmosphere

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - welcome to another week! I’m a little late in the day writing this as we’ve been travelling all day so let’s jump straight in and set the new theme….

This week’s theme is ‘A sense of atmosphere’

One of the things I love in photography is being able to capture a sense of atmosphere in my images. There are several ways you can do this so let’s see how you could create a particular mood in your pictures for this week’s theme.

Lighting is a very powerful tool in photography - after all the word itself means drawing with light. I’ll often find myself using exposure compensation to adjust the brightness of images I take, to create more mood. For instance, in this image, I reduced the exposure quite a lot to achieve a good exposure on the windows of this church, which creating a sense of darkness and mood around the pews in the foreground.

The colour of the light, as much as the quantity, can also play a huge role in the atmosphere of your pictures. The light at midday is generally quite harsh, while during the golden hour (the hour around sunset and sunrise) can be magical. The colour of the light is different and the low angle of the sun (while it is nearer the horizon) makes a vast difference too. Here Leonard Cotte has made good use of the golden sunrise, and the long shadows it creates, to make a wonderfully warm image, full of mood.

Don’t overlook the effect of the weather on your images too. Mist and fog can be very effective in helping you tell a story, bringing a sense of layering to scenes. Rain too can be very powerful, as Matteo Catanese has shown here. This picture is very reminiscent of the work of Saul Leiter, using the misted up shop window and the muted colours outside to really enhance the sense of atmosphere.

So there you have a few ideas to whet your appetite. Now it’s up to you to go and create some atmospheric images to share with us all!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 22nd September
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We had no fewer than four winners for our shallow depth of field theme last week, and an impressive range of subjects too. Congratulations to you all!

@popparatzee

@hoody47

@turtlesnaps

@russsmith

(Kenny H) #2

Thanks for voting everyone!

(Kenny H) #3

(Piotr Matura) #4

Thank you all for votes last week! :slight_smile:

(Piotr Matura) #5

Atmosphere of hot summer day in the park… in this instance - Botanical Garden in Wrocław, Poland

(Richard Livings) #6

(Berckmans Peter) #7

(Bethany Plonski) #8

Thank you everyone for voting last week!

(Lakshmi Bhat) #9

(Buster Bruce) #10

(Helen Hooker) #11

This was one of my favourites from our weekend at the Goodwood Racing Revival a couple of weeks ago. Most of the visitors wear period dress (1940s - 60s) so the costumes and the light in the paddocks strike me as a timeless look.