Weekly theme 17th June 2019 - Speed

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hi everyone - I hope you’re having a great start to the week.

This week’s theme is Speed

I’ve been at the 24 Hours of Le Mans over the weekend so this is a rather appropriate theme for what I’ve been shooting lately. Don’t worry though - you don’t need to get down to a race track to shoot for this one - there are plenty of other options! Let’s take a look at a few of them…

Yes, you could go for out and out speed, with a subject that moves genuinely fast. For this sort of subject, panning is a great technique to try. Focus on your subject and move your camera in parallel with them as they pass you. This keeps your subject sharp, while blurring the background to give a sense of motion. You could use a really fast shutter speed, but if you can keep it slower you’ll get a greater degree of blur. I shot this particular photo at 1/125 of a second, which is enough to blur the background and the wheels of the car. Be prepared for lots of failures, but when it works you’ll have a great sense of achievement!

Of course, speedy subjects don’t need to be manmade - you could photograph someone running, or a bird in flight. Here Andy Beale has captured a man in motion, running through an airport. While there isn’t any blur, the dynamic gesture is enough to remind us what running feels like.

Another option is for you to be stationary, while your subject moves. In this picture Jan Vasek has kept the station architecture perfectly sharp, while the sense of speed is created by the blur of the train coming into the platform.

So there you have some ideas to get you started. Go out and have some fun and we can compare our different interpretations of the theme.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 23rd June
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

We had two winners for last week’s people theme. @popparatzee caught this rather dapper gentleman as he left his car. Congratulations Ken!

Our other winner is yours truly, with this portrait I took during a soggy day in London.

(Kenny H) #2

Thanks for the votes everyone!

(Piotr Matura) #3

Motorcyclist going through the hairpin turn on Grossglockner Alpine Route.

(Kenny H) #4

During the annual Broad Street Run in Philadelphia, participants in wheelchairs are afforded a head start.
These two were neck and neck.

(Bob Rosenberg) #5

I ran many 10K races. They always let the wheel chair racers go first because they are actually much faster than even the fastest runners. By going first, they don’t have to maneuver around the runners that they would otherwise be passing.

(Kenny H) #6

Good to know! Some were just a blur. If you blinked, all you heard was the humming of the rubber on the road.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #7

(Bethany Plonski) #8

I tried all kids of experiments with panning to no avail. But hopefully this one still conveys a sense of speed. Tough challenge this week!

(Helen Hooker) #9

It’s taken me all week to work through my photos from Le Mans, but I think this shows the sense of speed quite well.

(Piotr Matura) #10

I remembered one more photo I could submit - a bit late, but why not? :slight_smile:

This one was captured in park around Nymphenburg Palace in Munich. There were lots of birds of different kinds, many of them ducks. I tried to capture these two in the air. Focus is not the best, because I shot with analog camera and manual focus, but I hope it will do anyway :wink: