# Weekly theme 18th & 25th November - Weather

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope your week has started well. Let’s jump straight in and look at our new theme for the coming week.

This week’s theme is Weather

With winter on its way in the northern hemisphere, one thing you can be sure of is changeable weather. Here in England we’ve had tremendous levels of rain, and sadly the floods that often come with lots of precipitation. However, it’s been nothing if not changeable and over the weekend we had colder, sunnier conditions which are perhaps more conducive to fair weather photographers!

I thought we’d make use of these ever-changing weather patterns for this week’s theme, so your task is to go out and capture the weather on camera.

How you choose to shoot is entirely up to you. You might want to go out and capture a crisp, frosty scene, as Simon Matzinger did here. A thick layer of frost can bring out detail in a scene like this, or even bring some sparkle on a sunny day.

Sometimes late autumn and early winter days can be a wonderful opportunity for misty scenes like this gorgeous landscape by Ricardo Gomez Angel. Fog can simplify a scene, by removing distractions or, as here, it can add a sense of depth to the landscape. I simply adore the sense of layering Ricardo has captured here.

Of course, if you live here in England, there’s a very good chance that the prevalent weather will be rain. A lot of photographers avoid going out to shoot in downpours for fear of damaging their camera. But with a rain cover or even a plastic bag cut to size, you can use any camera in the rain. On days when it’s only raining lightly I’ll often just take a small microfibre cloth with me to wipe away and drips and to drape over my camera when I’m not shooting.

In this wonderfully atmospheric image Lola Guti has captured a truly dramatic downpour and you can almost feel the puddles around your feet.

So there you have a selection of images which capture many times of winter weather - now it’s our turn to go out and shoot. Have fun!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 24th November.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Our winner for last week’s Remembrance theme is @moberga1 with this beautiful portrait of his grandfather. Congratulations Anthony!

(Kenny H) #2

“Winter White”

(Lakshmi Bhat) #3

I live in coastal South India. Our monsoon season has ended. The weather has become hot. We do not have a winter. :blush:

(Abigail Gossage) #4

Montreal snow

(Helen Hooker) #5

After endless rain we finally had some cold, frosty weather last week so I got out into Hatfield Forest with my camera.

(Berckmans Peter) #6

The weather is still quite good here, a mix of sunny days and rainy days.