Weekly theme 19th August - Patterns

(Helen Hooker) #1

Welcome to Monday everyone - that means it must be time for a new Photoblog theme!

This week’s theme is Patterns

Photographers often find themselves attracted to patterns - there’s something satisfying about repetition and it an interesting challenge to find the best way to shoot them. Patterns occur in many subjects, so let’s take a look at a few of the possibilities you could look for when shooting this week’s theme….

Architecture is a good place to start, as buildings are often full of repetition. This image by Josh Rose is a great example, albeit a minimalist one. Josh has gone for a mean and moody look, which only enhances the repetition of those architectural lines.

Of course patterns occur in nature too, be it in the petals of flowers, the curves of a snail’s shell or the veins in a leaf. In this delicate image, Paul Talbot has gone in for an extreme close up of a dandelion head, picking out those minute details.

Sometimes patterns occur not in an object but as a result of the light. Here Matthew Henry has spotted the repeating patterns in the shadows thrown by sunlight beneath a bridge. While the repetition is very satisfying, his inclusion of the human element, to break that pattern, adds an element of surprise.

So there you have some ideas to set your mind racing. Now it’s your turn to find some patterns and capture them for the weekly theme. I can’t wait to see what we all come up with!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 25th August
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

We have no fewer than three winners for last week’s Rule of Thirds theme - a duo of street photography shots and a wildlife image by yours truly. Congratulations to Ken and Peter.

@popparatzee

@peterphotowalks

@girafferacing

(Bastien Lebrun) #2

Echiquier!

(Kenny H) #3

Thanks for voting everyone!

(Kenny H) #4

Doorway of Philadelphia Masonic Hall

(Piotr Matura) #5

Deloitte building in Warsaw, Poland

(Berckmans Peter) #6

(Heidi Egerman) #8

Weekly Theme: Patterns
Artichoke Blossom

(Bethany Plonski) #9

Mimosa leaves

(Lakshmi Bhat) #10

(Helen Hooker) #11

I’m late posting my entry as I was travelling over the weekend. This is Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s fantastic architecture at Paddington Station in London - a lesson in repeating patterns.