Weekly theme 1st April 2019 - Games

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone. I’ve just spent a little time catching up on the many April Fools jokes published today and it got me thinking about a fun theme for this week. If you fancy a chuckle, why not take a look at this collection of photography related April Fools from today?!

This week’s theme is Games

This seemed an obvious choice given today’s date!

So how could you go about shooting something for this theme? The people who play games most are children. If you have young children or grandchildren (or know someone whose children you could borrow!) why not take them out and encourage them to have fun while you take some photos? There’s nothing quite like capturing expressions of joy to bring a smile to your own face too!

Quick tip

When photographing children you’ll achieve a much more intimate look if you get down to their level, rather than shooting from your own head height. Why not sit or lie on the floor to capture the world from their angle?

In this delightful image by Sasin Tipchai there’s a real sense of fun and playfulness.

Another approach is to go in for a close up view of a game in progress. I love the shallow depth of field in this picture, by Jan Vasek, which focuses our attention on the chess piece being moved.

When I searched my own catalogue for games I rediscovered my photos from the London Paralympics in 2012. I spent a whole day watching the athletics and had such fun photographing these amazing sportsmen and women. This image comes from a race for people whose sight is impaired, so each runner has a guide to ensure they stay on the track. Of course, this means the guide has to be at least as fast a runner as the athlete they’re assisting!

So there are some ideas for you. Now’s up to you to interpret the theme your way - make it as serious or fun as you wish!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 7th April
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

There’s a distinctly floral theme to the two winners of last week’s close up theme. Congratulations to you both!

@russsmith

@popparatzee

(Bob Rosenberg) #2

My 6 yr old granddaughter playing in her first baseball league.

(Kenny H) #3

The start of the Annual Broad Street Run. Wheel chair participants are given an early start.

(Bob Rosenberg) #4

I used to do lots of 10 kilometer running races. The reason that they let the wheel chair racers have a head start is that they are actually much much faster than we runners. If they were to start among us or behind us, they’d then be working to pass us all. These athletes are amazing!

(Lakshmi Bhat) #5

Our granddaughter and Winnie the pooh :blush:

(Kenny H) #6

Good to know! Thanks

(Russell Smith) #7

Thank you all it is appreciated :slight_smile:

(Bethany Plonski) #8

I set up all the dominos and then kittens happened. :smile: