Weekly theme 1st July 2019 - Wildlife

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hi everyone - I hope you’re having a great Monday! It’s evident from the entries for last week’s theme that we’re a bunch of animal lovers here on Photoblog. With that in mind I thought we could take the subject a step further….

This week’s theme is Wildlife

Think of a professional wildlife photographer and you’ll probably picture someone with endless patience and enormous telephoto lenses, skilfully stalking an endangered species in an exotic location. Fortunately, a big budget for lenses and travel isn’t an absolute requirement for wildlife photography, although a little patience goes a long way!

So, for this week’s theme please don’t feel you have to share photos of exotic animals - something taken on your own doorstep is just as worthy of the title. Let’s take a look at some possibilities…

I had my own wildlife close encounter in our garden last week, when we were visited by a hedgehog. We’d seen evidence of his or her visits on the lawn and noticed the indentation under the fence, created so they could squeeze through. On Thursday evening though, we found our prickly friend scoffing the leftover sunflower seeds, dropped by the many birds who visit our garden. I didn’t have long, but I was able to grab my camera quickly enough to catch this cute picture.

Many people feed the birds in their gardens, just like me. It’s a great way to get closer to nature and the birds appreciate it too. In this beautiful photo Faye Cornish has captured a blue jay tucking into some tasty morsels, and what a handsome bird it is too! A little bribery goes a long way, so why not pop out some sunflower hearts or a suet ball and see who comes to visit your garden?

Of course, if you have access to more exotic animals please feel free to share your photos with us for the theme. It may be you live in a part of the world where you regularly see wildlife around you, or you could even take a visit to the local zoo. For instance, puffins are a species many of us dream of photographing, but in some parts of the world they are relatively common at the right time of year. M Zonderling shot this beautiful puffin portrait on the Isle of Mull and you can almost smell the fresh sea air, with that beautiful light and the sparkling water beyond this cheeky character.

So there are some ideas to get you going - now it’s your turn to go out and shooter the wilder side of life! I can’t wait to see all the fabulous pictures everyone creates this week.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 7th July
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Well, last week’s ‘your favourite subject’ theme brought in lots of entries and votes too! The voting was very close, but our winner, by a whisker, is this beautiful close up horse photo by @jolened. There’s such a soulful look in those eyes and you can really see your enthusiasm for the subject. Congratulations Jolien!

(Kenny H) #2

(Jolien Dekens) #3

Thanks for all the votes! :smile:

(Piotr Matura) #4

I took this photo in Munich English Garden. There is a lot of water there - lots of ponds and even a small river/stream. This means lots of birds - swans, ducks, gulls, geese - many gathered and mixed all together in one place.
I managed to single out this one (goose, duck? I’m not sure :slight_smile:) and I really like this photo.

(Camellia) #5

(Bethany Plonski) #6

(Bethany Plonski) #7

I’m not sure how I managed to get that photo to post twice, but I doubt I could do it again if I tried. :smile:

(Lisa Britton) #8

Monarch butterfly on a summer day

(Berckmans Peter) #9

Took this in at Salak Pet Thailand. I believe it are flying dogs and not bats

(Camellia) #10

Oh wow! Gross but so cool Peter. ( gross because I am scared not because they are gross). Seriously, flying dogs??? What’s the difference?

(Berckmans Peter) #11

They are much bigger,and have a dogface

(Camellia) #12

Even more scarier then :slight_smile:

(Lakshmi Bhat) #13

We see families of monkeys going about on the compound walls, searching for food. They enjoy the fresh seeds of some plants.

(Jolien Dekens) #14

Not sure if this counts as wildlife :stuck_out_tongue: but it’ll have to do ^^

(Helen Hooker) #15

I stole an hour in our garden earlier in the week to spend some time with the birds. Usually the goldfinches are quite timid but this one was bucking the trend and being very bold!