Weekly theme 20th August 2018 - Point of view

(Helen Hooker) #1

Thanks for all your entries for last week’s theme and for taking us up into the skies above you. I thought I’d go for a related concept this week, but this time giving you the choice of how you tackle it……

This week’s theme is ‘Point of view’

Having got you all looking up last week, let’s see if we can continue the idea of looking in a different direction as we shoot. It’s too easy to simply shoot from head height as it’s the level from which we see the world around us. My challenge to you is to find a different point of view. That could be getting down low, for a worm’s eye view of the world, as Alexandra has here. I can’t help but wonder what the duck is thinking here - perhaps it thinks the viewer is a tasty snack?!

Alternatively, you could go for the opposite extreme, shooting from high up. This could be from a really high building, or even just holding the camera above your head. Don’t overlook the possibility of using your LCD screen for either of these options, especially if your camera has one that can be tilted.

This shot is one I took recently from the uppermost gallery of St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. The high viewpoint allowed me to capture a sweeping panorama, looking across the city - quite an arresting view. Do click on the picture to see it larger and soak up all the details!

Don’t overlook the possibility of tackling an everyday object but from an unusual point of view. Here Agus Supriyanto has taken a simple pile of coloured paper and turned it into a wonderfully striking abstract by shooting it from an unusual angle.

So there are some ideas for you - now it’s your turn to go and get creative - I can’t wait to see the results!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 26th August
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

You all came up with some wonderful skies for last week’s theme but our winner was @popparatzee with a fabulous combination of skies and architecture - well done!

(Kenny H) #2

Thanks to everyone that voted for my “skies” post. I’m glad you liked it!

(Kenny H) #3

View from skybridge, Philadelphia Convention Center

(Berckmans Peter) #4

Don Muang airport in Bangkok, waiting for our flight

(Gianluigi Gg) #6

Marì

(Gianluigi Gg) #7

_Sant’Appiano _

(Lakshmi Bhat) #8

Last week we had gone for our evening walk and in the grounds I saw a carpet of purple flowers. From the ground level I took this photo.

(Abigail Gossage) #9

The stalks of the heliospsis may be less colourful than the blossoms but they make a more interesting still life.

(Neckole Sterling) #10

A view no one wants

(Bethany Plonski) #11

A smurf house :slight_smile:

(Helen Hooker) #12

It’s taken me a few days to find the shot I was after, but I found a different viewpoint at Liverpool Street Station this evening.