Hello everyone. After extending the last week’s theme for a second week we’re back to business as usual. Thank you for being so understanding about my absence - it did at least mean we had a really good crop of entries for our blue theme. Without further ado, let’s get on and set our new theme….
This week’s theme is Shadows
With the days lengthening and more sunshine as we head from spring to summer, shadows are a more common sight than on grey winter days. This therefore seems a good choice for our new theme.
It can be great fun to play with shadows in the urban world, especially in street photography. It’s entirely up to you whether to include the person or object creating the shadow in your photo - either could make for a strong image. In this image by Jannes Kiefer all we see is the shadow of a man, perfectly timed as he walked by a colourful wall.
Don’t overlook the possibility of using shadows to create drama in an image. This portrait by Mihai Paraschiv the shadows are a very powerful tool, creating negative space to balance the strong light on the man’s face.
Of course, if the sun isn’t shining or you don’t come across any strong light sources, you can always create your own shadows at home. I made this image on the kitchen table, using a pair of small whisks and a torch to illuminate them and throw some hard shadows. Feel free to be as creative as you like - you could always go for a full on abstract approach!
So there you have some ideas to get your creative juices going. NOw it’s up to you to go out and have some fun - I can’t wait to see everyone’s photos!
How to participate:
- Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 26thth May
- To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
- Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
- To vote, click the heart icon.
- If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!
Winners of the last theme
We have two winners for our blue theme, one of whom is yours truly! I feel honoured to be in such great company - congratulations Bethany!