Weekly theme 21st October - Square

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re enjoying a good start to the week. I must start with an apology once again - I was a little too far ahead of the curve with our autumnal theme over the last couple of weeks! I’ll make a note to set it later in the season if we have a similar theme next year. So without further ado, let’s get on and select a new theme that’s less time critical….

This week’s theme is Square

I was amazed when I looked back through the last two and a half years’ theme to find we’ve never had one based around a shape, so perhaps it’s time we put that right. When you start looking there are shapes all around us - either explicitly or hidden among other forms. Here are some ideas I came up with while searching for inspiration online…

If you want to go for a subject that’s square in every direction you could pick dice. Straightforward record shots are ten a penny, but this one caught my eye, from Free-Photos, because it’s had a little more creative thinking.

When I was in Liverpool earlier this year I spent some time exploring a more abstract approach with my architectural photography. Walking around the Metropolitan Cathedral I shot a collection of square images which I could combine later. In this one, not only is the image square, but this shape is an important part of the composition.

So what are your options if you don’t have time to go out and shoot? Well, you could cast around your home and create your own square composition, as with these coffee beans, also from Free-Photos.

So there are a handful of idea for you, but once you start looking I’m sure you’ll be seeing squares everywhere! I’m looking forward to seeing what we all come up with over the coming week.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 27th October.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

A lot of us may have struggled to find autumnal pictures for the last theme, but @giangi is our worthy winner with this gloriously golden shot from Central Park. Congratulations Gianluigi!

(Lakshmi Bhat) #2

DSC02443

(Berckmans Peter) #3

They are in there, the squares

(Jolien Dekens) #4

(Gary Luker) #5

“vintage” apothecary shop window

(David Nurse) #6

(Gianluigi Gg) #7

many thanks every one

(Helen Hooker) #8

My own offering for the square theme takes a low tech approach as it was shot on my Ondu pinhole camera. It uses 120 film, so the images are square, and there are a good number of squares in the glass facade of the buildings leading to St Paul’s Cathedral too.