Weekly theme 22nd October 2018 - Glass

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re having a great week!

We’re back to a simple subject for this week’s theme, this time suggested by @unicornlover - thanks for the idea Lisa!

This week’s theme is Glass

This should offer all sorts of possibilities as we’re surrounded by glass in so many places. Here are a few ideas which immediately sprang to my mind, although no doubt you’ll be able to come with many more….

Reflective subjects like glass can be a challenge to photograph at the best of times - it’s so easy for your pictures to end up being inadvertent selfies! Here Luke Besley has done a fantastic job, creating an elegant yet beautifully simple image of a wine glass.

One of my favourite types of glass to photograph are stained glass windows in churches. In Hereford Cathedral I found so stunning contemporary designs by artist Tom Denny. The low morning light was coming through at just the right angle to reflect some of the colour from the glass onto the surrounding stonework, which just adds to the wash of colour.

Do remember that you don’t necessarily need to have a distinct subject in your pictures. In this image Max Bender has used three simple elements, glass water droplets and background bokeh to create a gorgeous abstract image.

OK, so you’ve got some ideas to inspire you - now it’s your turn to go and create your own take on Lisa’s glass theme. I’m really looking forward to seeing what you all come up with!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 4th November
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We had some fantastic entries for last week’s ‘Seeing the light’ theme - you all got out there and really put your creativity to the test. Our winner is @granabby with these wonderfully dramatic shafts of light at the National Gallery of Canada. Congratulations Abigail!

(Abigail Gossage) #2

Toronto rainy bus shelter, taken this past weekend on my Iphone

(Russell Smith) #3

(Camellia) #4

(Camellia) #5

(Kenny H) #6

“The Waiting Room”
Temple University train station.

(Berckmans Peter) #7

Glass we all have and forget because we look trough it

(Lisa Britton) #8

The glass between you and the big blue sea at sunset.

(D Vgz) #9

How the light colours the wall, so pretty! Good shot!

(Camellia) #10

Thank you. It is definitely one of my favorite shots :slight_smile:

(Bethany Plonski) #11

(Lakshmi Bhat) #12

Last year I was in Walldorf, Germany in my daughter’s place. Glass windows of a house there.

(Kenny H) #13

I like this low light shot!

(Helen Hooker) #14

Sadly I’ve missed my own deadline yet again, but I thought I’d post my shot anyway! This was taken in London - a reflection in glass of more glass buildings.

(Bethany Plonski) #15

Thank you! Glad you like it :smiley: