Weekly Theme 23rd July 2018 - Holiday Season

(Helen Hooker) #1

Let me start by thanking everyone who left a comment on my other weekly theme thread about future themes. There were lots of really good ideas and I will be using them in coming weeks - starting with the new theme today!

I have contacted @admin and asked if it might be possible to have a direct link to the weekly theme on the Photoblog homepage to increase the visibility. I have no idea if this is possible but I’ll let you know his answer in due course.

Right, let’s get on and set the new theme!

This week’s theme is holiday season

Here in England the schools have just finished for the summer holiday and everyone is getting into holiday mood. I realise this won’t necessarily be the case all around the world, but if you can’t get out and shoot something new for this theme you can always dig into your archives for something suitable!

So how to tackle the theme? Well, you could share some photos of your holiday preparations if you’re still at the planning stage.

Instead you might choose to focus on how you get to your destination. When we visited Orkney back in March I had some fun shooting the landscape from the aircraft. The distortion of the windows and hot exhaust fumes offered some challenges but the flight across Scotland offered some beautiful bird’s eye views.

Of course, you might decide to take a more general approach and capture the mood of your destination and fellow tourists. The summer holidays are often a great time for street festivals, with music and other entertainment so you could use the theme as an excuse to capture some street life. This picture by Debashis Biswas is full of colour and life and captures something of the local festival atmosphere.

So, over to you. Take us along with your on your travels and show us a good time!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 29th July
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We had a bigger collection of entries this week - thank you for participating. We also have no less than four winners, each six votes - congratulations to everyone!

@heidegerman

@helys

@strohschneider-laue

@girafferacing

Weekly theme extended
(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #2

Holiday Season?! We already spent the full four days in Upper Austria with friends. The last evening … SIGH

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #3

Thanks for voting my lonely raspberry - it’s a honor to find it in the middle of a gorgeous bouquet, a gigantic blossom and an incredible Ferrari!
Helen, the “challenge button” is brilliant idea and I hope, the admin will do it.

(Helen Hooker) #4

Thanks Sigrid! Fingers crossed I’ll get a response.

In the meantime here’s my offering. I may not have been on holiday today but there were plenty of folks in Cambridge who were. I love the look of longing on these boys’ faces as they wait for their ice creams!

(Lisa Britton) #5

Mountain Lake Vacation

(Helen Hooker) #6

Come on folks, surely there must be more of you with holiday photos to share for the theme?! You’ve got a few more hours to add your pictures… :smile:

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #7

Maybe you should extend for another week, because everyone else is still on holiday …

(Lisa Britton) #8

It seems like a slow week, maybe a repost to try and get more people?

(Lakshmi Bhat) #9

We live in South India. Last month we went to the foothills of the Himalayas. We enjoyed our stay in three hill stations. At one place we walked for an hour through valleys crossing mountain streams. We trekked up and down hills to a temple in a cave.It was a wonderful experience, at all moments we were one with nature.

(Helen Hooker) #10

OK, let’s give it another week and I’ll save the theme I was about to post next Monday. I’ll create a separate post to remind people. Have fun, wherever you all are!

(Marilyn Grimble) #11

New York

(Gianluigi Gg) #12

the colors of the sea

(Phil Child) #13

Boating holiday at Llangollen Wales

(Camellia) #14

(Bethany Plonski) #15

St. Andrews State Park in Florida