Weekly theme 24th June 2019 - Your favourite subject

(Helen Hooker) #1

After an action packed, speed-themed week last week, I thought we’d go for something a little different this week. This is an idea suggested by @unicornlover a while back - thanks for the suggestion Lisa!

This week’s theme is Your favourite subject

Rather than having a specific theme to shoot for, let’s take a moment to share with each other the things we most like to photograph. There’s no right or wrong here - just a matter of personal choice. When you vote, simply go for the photo you think works best in its own right.

So what are my favourite subjects to photograph? If you’ve ever checked out my blog, it’s not too hard to figure out! Here are a few of my favourites…

If you’d asked me a few years ago whether I considered myself a people photographer I’d have laughed - it was something I actively avoided! Over the years though, I’ve tried my hand at street photography and there’s nothing I like better than a little people watching. Capturing that crucial moment, with an interesting gesture, or a graphic composition is so satisfying. Most of my shots are candid moments, completely unposed, but I have been brave and asked for the occasional street portrait recently. This is a shot I took earlier in the year at Speakers Corner in London, showing one of the livelier conversations going on!

Another of my passions is architecture photography. I’ll photograph any sort of building, from historic churches, to modernist architecture. I get especially excited when I find interesting lines and forms, combined with beautiful light, as I did here at Saffron Walden church last winter.

It often surprises people when they discover I’m a bit of a petrolhead! My Dad loves cars and we always watched the Formula 1 races when I was a child, so I guess it rubbed off somewhere along the way. I love finding interesting details on cars, but there’s nothing quite like the excitement of photographing priceless historic cars racing wheel to wheel. The main subject of this photo is the Beast of Turin - a 28 litre Fiat from a hundred years ago, racing at Goodwood and spitting out flames and smoke!

So there are some of my favourite subjects - now it’s over to you to share yours! This should bring a very varied selection of photos and I can’t wait to see what everyone loves shooting. Please do spread the word about the theme and encourage others to join in!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 30th June
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

@popparatzee is on a bit of a roll at the moment, as he is the winner of our weekly theme for the second week in a row - congratulations Ken!

(Piotr Matura) #2

Great theme, I really like the idea of sharing favourite subjects :slight_smile: I think I don’t have the favourite subject, but I definitely lean towards nature/landscape and architecture. At least for now :wink:

So this time I want to share photo combining some things that I always enjoy capturing: water, sky, clouds, sunlight + some architecture and boats. I shared this photo one time on PB, but what the heck, it’s one of my favourites and also one of first ones I ever captured on film :wink:

(Sarah Kreig) #3

My Favourite Subject: The sights of greater Wellington!

Location: Days Bay looking out over Wellington Harbour. Eastbourne is to the left and the city of Wellington is to the right.

This was one of the first shots I took with my new camera and I love it for all it represents to me.

(Sarah Kreig) #4

A second photo for this weekly challenge …

Again - the sights and sounds of greater Wellington.

These are the boat sheds at Titahi Bay Beach in Porirua (5 mins from where I live). It’s such a lovely wee spot but what captures my eye the most was the variety of colour - so bright and happy!

Again a very early shot with my new camera!

(Kenny H) #5

First off, thanks for choosing my shot for the last theme. Secondly, I love your example posted above Helen. Between that style, your air show shots, and cathedrals, your work is amazing.
I try to fancy myself a bit of a street photographer, enjoying my fave subject - people. I saw this young lady dancing alone at an African street festival a few weeks ago.

(Berckmans Peter) #6

Still got a sweetspot for architecture.

(Russell Smith) #7

While I enjoy food photography my honest love is getting out and shooting nature/wildlife of all types. Something about it sooths my soul.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #8

There are many favourite subjects, one among them are clouds. :blush:

(Jolien Dekens) #9

One of my favorite subjects is horses! Especially my horses :slight_smile: I know I shared this one already on photoblog but it fits the theme so perfectly!

(Jolien Dekens) #10

Another one of my favorites is colorful flowers :slight_smile:

(Bethany Plonski) #11

I don’t know if I can say I have one definitive favorite because I enjoy so many different kinds of photography, but nature is always pretty high up there for me. :smile:

(Giancarlo Fosci) #12

(Helen Hooker) #13

It’s ridiculous - I know what the theme is and the deadline before everyone else and yet I’m always the last to post - usually after the deadline! Anyway, here’s a shot from my walk around Holland Park last week. I love doing wildlife photography and the squirrels made it so easy there - they’re just so tame!