Weekly theme 24th September 2018 - Reflections

(Helen Hooker) #1

Morning all! Many apologies for being a few hours late posting the new theme - I’m afraid I was either teaching or travelling all day yesterday. Let’s get straight down to business and have a look at the new theme….

This week’s theme is Reflections

Thanks to @turbandiva for suggesting this one - it should have plenty of possibilities for creativity.

Reflections can come in many forms - all you need is a shiny surface which reflects light. Here are a few possibilities that sprang to my mind…

The most obvious type of photographic reflection is a watery one. This should appeal to the landscape photographers among us. Do remember though, the clearest reflections are often to be found early in the morning, before the wind has got up, so you may need to forfeit your late breakfast!

In this example Dan Freeman has captured some wonderfully graphic reflections in these palm trees. The stillness of the water has created absolutely perfect mirror images of the trees.

Of course, there are plenty of other reflective surfaces and the city is an excellent place to look for inspiration. This image is one I took in Ipswich. The city’s Willis Building is clad in black glass so it almost vanishes and one becomes more aware of the surrounding older buildings reflected in its surface, albeit with some quirky joins where the glass panels meet.

Don’t overlook the possibility of reflections in smaller forms, such as puddles. Here, Marc-Olivier Jodoin has used a small puddle very effectively. As well as capturing himself and the surrounding city architecture he’s even caught the decisive moment with a passing aircraft.

So there are some ideas to get you started - now it’s your turn to go and make your own reflective photographic creations!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 30th September
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

The slightly longer running time than usual meant we had a bumper crop of entries for last week’s shapes theme. The winning entry was this beautiful image by @camellia, although it was a close run thing with several entries just one point behind. Congratulations!

(Lisa Britton) #3

The setting sun reflecting off the calm waves.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #4

Always a problem to photograph silver objects without reflections.
Btw. I slightly turned the spoon to the left before I took the next pictures.

(Camellia) #5

Thank you Helen and everyone else who voted. This was one of those photos I took just to test the light in the room and ended up liking how it turned out. :slight_smile:

(Kenny H) #6

Wissahickon Creek, Philadelphia PA

(Berckmans Peter) #7

Took this one about 2 weeks back. A piece of art that can float in a limited space. Do not know who the artist is , not a plate in sight. The reflection came out good.

(Russell Smith) #8

(Deli Tlb) #9

Dubai-JLT

(Anna Molly) #10

Congratulations @camillephoto! Beautiful work :+1:t2:

(Heidi Egerman) #11

(Deli Tlb) #12

Al Noor Island- Sharjah + my friend Ali :smile:

(Arleta) #13

The mirror

(Gianluigi Gg) #14

_ Headquarters of the United Nations_