Weekly theme 25th February 2019 - Passageways

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re enjoying a good start to the new week.

Last week’s long exposures theme was perhaps more of a challenge than some of our recent ones, so this week we’re going to back to something that’s subject based. Hopefully it should offer opportunities for everyone.

Shooting fresh pictures, or not?

Amid last week’s posts, one contributor asked if it’s expected that participants will shoot something new for the theme each week. There’s no strict requirement for you to take something fresh for the theme, but I hope you might do so at least some of the time. I find shooting a new picture to illustrate a specific idea or subject can be a really creative experience as it really makes me think about what I want to convey in my pictures. I realise that not all the themes will be practical for everyone, although I try to come up with ones which can have a variety of interpretations so they’re as inclusive as possible.

I usually try to come up with something new, although I too have to root through my catalogue on occasions! What do you all like to do for the themes - shoot fresh pictures, or find old ones to fit? The choice is entirely yours, but if so far you’ve used old pictures, why not try coming up with something new for one or more of the future themes? You might find it fires up your creative juices and you come up with something really exciting!

So, let’s get on with the new theme….

This week’s theme is Passageways

When I was brainstorming possible themes this week, my initial idea was tunnels. Then it occurred to me that we could broaden this concept. I think the term passageways could offer more possibilities and hopefully it will trigger some creative ideas, no matter where you live. Let’s take a look at a few ideas that sprang to my mind.

Following my initial tunnels idea, you could go for a dark and dramatic urban setting like this one. I found this spot in Harlow, a town near me. Harlow is one of those concrete towns that sprang up in England post-war and I’ve never warmed to its unforgiving lines. I think this influenced the way I saw this shot, and in post processing I enhanced the dark, dank feeling of my original photo.

Of course, passageways and tunnels appear in nature too. The Dark Hedges is a road in Northern Ireland which is very popular with photographers. When caught at the right time of day, as DarkWorkX has, you can see why. That road creates a really strong leading line and I don’t know about you, but I definitely want to walk down it!

If you live in a city, another option is to look for architectural tunnels and passages. Here in London, the tube network is a great source of photographic opportunities and I’m sure other city metro systems would work well too. Here Mavis CW has captured some wonderfully strong lines in this upwards staircase, drawing us up into the picture.

If you want some more inspiration along these lines, I can also recommend you take a look at the work of Luke Agbaimoni, who is gradually working his way around London, photographing all of the underground stations. I follow him on Instagram and never fail to be inspired by his creative use of a transport system I’m very familiar with!

I hope that’s inspired you to get out with your camera. I certainly intend to take something new this week and already have some ideas about where I might head for my passageways shot. Have a great week!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 3rd March
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

Once again we have two winners for our last theme, using long exposures. @peterphotowalks captured this ghostly looking train,

While @kevinwenning shared some of the hustle and bustle on the highway.

Congratulations to you both!

(Lakshmi Bhat) #2

(Kenny H) #3

(Berckmans Peter) #4

An entrance in one of the oldest streets of Antwerp " De Vlaaikensgang "

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #5

A passageway for the living and the dead.

(Heidi Egerman) #6

Passageway in Northern Spain near Molinaseca

(Kevin Wenning) #7

Wonderful photo and symmetry. My mind figures the middle arch is a wall as well but i know it must be a path.

(Kevin Wenning) #9

Oops, different photo. I read the theme as pathways; uploaded a path and then saw the theme is passageways so…a passageway in the old medinas of Fes Morocco.

(Gianluigi Gg) #10

on the roads of Chianti

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #11

Thanks! At least its not a dead end …

(Bethany Plonski) #12

(Kenny H) #13

Beautiful shot! I love the depth in this.

(Bethany Plonski) #14

Thank you! Glad you like it. :smile: