Weekly theme 27th May 2019 - Music

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re all enjoying a good start to the new week. I’ve raided the list of suggestions many of you sent me for themes this week and this one was offered by @peterphotowalks. Many thanks Peter!

This week’s theme is Music

While music isn’t necessarily an obvious photographic concept, there are plenty of ways you could interpret this one. Let’s have a look at a few ideas….

If you’re after a literal illustration of music there’s no reason why you can’t find some notes to photograph, as Marius Masalar has done here. Using a shallow depth of field Marius has focused our eyes onto a small area of the music, drawing our attention to the detailed markings the musician owner has written onto the score.

Of course, as well as being a physical medium, music is also an aural one and Jamakassi has illustrated this with a candid shot taken in a record store. The soft tones and the Elvis album in the foreground give this a lovely nostalgic feel, even if it was shot very recently.

As a musician myself, I’m always drawn to photograph other musicians at work. Sometimes this will be shots which show the artist at work in his or her environment, but there’s no reason why you can’t go for a more intimate approach. Austin Prock has focused in on a guitarist’s hands here. The shallow depth of field means very little is in focus, but we see enough detail to understand we’re watching a musician at work.

So there you have some suggestions which sprang to my mind - now it’s over to you to show how creative you can be!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 2nd June
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

We have clear winner for our shadows theme from last week - @peterphotowalks with this beautifully dramatic image. Congratulations Peter!

(Berckmans Peter) #2

Thanks for liking my photo

(Olga Helys) #3

MUSIC CONSERVATORY IN MY CITY
/Stained glass window of my church - Photo by © Hei Li, Helys Photos, 2019

(Berckmans Peter) #4

This one I took in a pianoshop

(Berckmans Peter) #5

Streetmusicians amways fun;

(Russell Smith) #6

(Kenny H) #7

(Bethany Plonski) #8

(Piotr Matura) #9

A little late, but I want to join this week, too :wink:
My first photo:

Back to Black (LPs :wink:)

(Piotr Matura) #10

And my second photo:

Some of my favourite artists/albums

(Helen Hooker) #11

I’ve had several attempts at shooting something for the music theme this week, but each one has been defeated… until today! This is Haverhill Silver Band playing at the Thaxted Fayre today. Hot work, but the crowd seemed to appreciate it.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #12

Carnatic classical music concert under the stars.