Weekly theme 28th January 2019 - Still life

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope your week’s got off to a great start.

Well, what can I say about last week’s theme entries? There were so many of them! It was fantastic to see so many people getting involved in the weekly theme. I guess it just goes to show how timeless a good black and white photo can be.

I’ll announce the winners later, but let’s get on and set the new theme for the coming week….

This week’s theme is Still Life

When I was doing my 365 project still lifes were a lifesaver on days when life had stopped me getting out with my camera. On those occasions I looked around the house for a subject I could use as a subject, often picking really quite mundane objects, as a way of making me be more creative. There’s an art to creating a really beautiful still life image and it’s not just the subject you need to think about. Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing…

An obvious choice for a still life is to do a spot of food photography. The raw ingredients (excuse the pun!) for food photography are easy to come by, so it’s something we can all have a go at. The thing that makes a really good food shot stand out from the rest is the elements you choose to place around your central subject to complete the scene. There’s an art to adding just enough elements to complete the scene, while not cluttering things up too much. This beautiful image, by Brooke Lark is a great example. The layout is clean and simple, and she’s used soft natural light to illuminate the scene.

If you like the idea of food photography and want to learn how to do it really well, I can recommend the work of Nicole S. Young. She’s written a really good book on the subject, filled with simple tips for great results.

Of course, there’s nothing to stop you creating a still life from any objects, so go ahead and be as creative as you like. This picture was created by Moss, from old paint tubes. It’s such a simple concept, but the end result is mesmerising!

Sometimes though, it’s possible to find potential still life images in mundane places. This picture, taken in a church near me, has a peaceful quality and all I had to do was to see the potential in a simple bible left on a windowsill.

I hope that’s given you some inspiration - I’m so looking forward to seeing what you all create this week! Thank you to @strohschneider-laue for suggesting this theme in the first place.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 3rd February
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

With a bumper number of entries, last week’s theme was a close run thing, but we ended up with two winners with these great monochrome images. Congratulations to Pete and Ken!

@slowpete

@popparatzee

(Berckmans Peter) #2

I think I have to go with one of my ghost pictures.

(Kenny H) #3

(Kenny H) #4

Last week’s theme of B&W was pretty cool. Loved all the entries too. Thanks so much for selecting mine.

(Camellia) #5

Had to try this one on my own after seeing Joe’s version https://www.photoblog.com/delacroix/2018/11/24/photoelasticity-birefringence/

(L A Magee) #6

(Russell Smith) #7

Sometimes you have to quit obsessing mentally on an image you see in your mind and get it out into the world . This is the case for this image while I am unsure how I will change it for the next time or if I will at least it is no longer haunting me .

(Can G) #8

This is quite an awesome image, Russel! And I know exactly what you mean what you mean by an image haunting you :joy:

(Lakshmi Bhat) #9

(Jon Fitton) #10

(Lisa Britton) #11

(Laurie Madsen) #12

(Heidi Egerman) #13

Gladiolas. Black and white.

(Bethany Plonski) #14

Still life kicked my butt this week! Much harder than I thought.

(D Vgz) #15

(Kenny H) #16

A great shot either way you look at it :blush:

(Miluskaya -) #17

Still life!

https://www.photoblog.com/miluskaya/2019/01/30/poor-animals/

(Helen Hooker) #18

I’m posting this on behalf of @miluskaya, who’s been having trouble posting to the forum.

(Helen Hooker) #19

And now my own entry. Sadly I haven’t managed to shoot anything new for this theme, but here’s one I shot a week or two back in a local church.

(Bethany Plonski) #20

Thank you! It was a real bugger to get that one! :slight_smile: