Weekly theme 29th April 2019 - Textures

(Helen Hooker) #1

Morning all - I hope your week has started well! Let’s jump straight in and take a look at our new weekly theme….

This week’s theme is Textures

Photographers are a unique breed of people. Stand an ordinary person in front of a piece of rusting metal or peeling paintwork and they’ll probably wonder why they should be so fascinated. However, I’m willing to bet most photographers would instantly want to find the best angle to shoot these interesting textures!

So what is it that makes us want to photograph interesting textures? I have a few theories…

Adding a sense of depth

In photography we’re trying to capture a three dimensional scene in a two dimensional format. Texture, especially when illuminated with some side light, will often help give a sense of form and shape, adding to the 3D effect. This image, by Robert Lukeman, may at first sight be just a landscape, but it’s the textures in the foreground grass that help draw us into the image to the sunset beyond.

Telling us the story of an object

As I mentioned earlier, textures such as rust, peeling paint and weathered wood are like catnip to photographers. They help to tell a little of the story of the item you’re photographing - showing it’s led a full and active life! For instance, this picture by Thom Masat leaves me asking why this door has been left so neglected. What happened to the people who lived there and why are they no longer looking after this building? The dramatic light only helps to enhance these weathered textures.

The satisfaction of patterns

Textures and patterns often go hand in hand. Humans like a sense of order, so regular patterns can be incredibly satisfying to look at. Don’t be afraid to go for a little irregularity though - the shifting patterns and textures in this architectural image by Ricard Gomez Angel draw your eye in and I found myself taking quite some time to explore the undulations in the textures. The use of monochrome also helps here, as it simplifies the image and enhances the texture.

Hopefully that will have given you some ideas for the new theme. Look out for them anywhere - your texture could be manmade or found in nature - who knows! I’m looking forward to seeing what amazing textures you can all find this week!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 5th May
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

Our runaway winner this week was @turtlesnaps with this delightful spring slower image. Congratulations Bethany!

(Russell Smith) #2

(Kenny H) #3

“Spare Change”

(Olga Helys) #4

ARCHITECTURE/The side of the Water Sports Center, AQUALUDE in Mantes-la-Jolie F78 - It represents waves - Work of the architects Caroline BARAT&Thomas DUBUISSON - SOOC Photo by © Hei Li, Helys Photos 2017

(Berckmans Peter) #5

The texture of decay

(Helen Hooker) #6

I created some texture of my own today, using intentional camera movement on some trees at work.

(Bethany Plonski) #7

On nature walks, I like to stop for shots of moss and lichen because they always have such interesting textures.

And thank you everyone for liking my image last week! I appreciate it. :smiley:

(Heidi Egerman) #8

Ornamental Poppy Leaf. Blooming any day now.

(Bob Rosenberg) #9

We’re remodeling our bathroom, laundry room, and master bedroom. Wifey has been gathering up samples of stone types and paint colors.

(João Ferrão) #10

Pedra Bela viewpoint um Gerês. Pedra Bela means beautifull stone, even one texturized with liken :wink: