Weekly Theme 31 July 2017 - Symmetry

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone! Well, what a great selection of pictures we had for last week’s ‘down low’ theme.

Congratulations to @peterphotowalks who won with this great image:

This week’s theme is symmetry.

Symmetry comes in many forms, both natural and man made. Let’s have a look at some examples to get you thinking about what you could shoot this week……

Symmetry often occurs in architecture so do keep your eyes open for shots like this one, of the iconic Flatiron building in New York, by Edgar Chaparro.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqs3u3nawy6myw9/EdgarChaparro.png?dl=0

Alternatively you could seek out some symmetry in nature, such as this Small Tortoiseshell butterfly which recently landed in my garden. The whole scene doesn’t necessarily need to be symmetrical but the subject here definitely is!

Of course, you could always create your own artificial symmetry using Photoshop to flip an image you shoot. You could use a portrait (although people often look very odd when they are truly symmetrical!) or a piece of architecture as Mark Seton did with a shot he took at Liverpool Street Station in London.

If you choose this option, don’t forget to share how you did it with us!

So, over to you – let’s see how much sense of balance and symmetry we can all find to shoot this week!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 6th August.
• To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
• To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
• If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

(Stephanie Hyde) #2

(Ram Ya) #3

Taken in the city of Toruń city where Nicolaus Copernicus was born.

(Ram Ya) #4

(Camellia Staab) #5

(Camellia Staab) #6

(Russell Smith) #7

(Kelly Field) #8

Imperfect Symmetry or the alien from Independence Day having a colourful makeover?

(Mary Ann Dacayo) #9

Umeda Sky Building (Floating Garden Observatory) in Osaka, Japan

(Amber Josephine) #10

The ceiling of Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik, the largest church in Iceland. I took this photo earlier this year while on holidays

(Richard Livings) #11

Low bridge

(Ramtest) #12

(Helen Hooker) #13

Beverley Minster - one of my all time favourite churches

(Berckmans Peter) #14

St Anna pedestriantunnel under the river Schelde in Antwerp. I found it worked really well in the 1:1 format