Weekly theme 4th March 2019 - Transport

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone. I must start by apologising for failing to post a new theme last week. I’m afraid I got snowed under with preparations for a course I was teaching and it completely slipped my mind until it was too late. I promise this won’t become a regular occurrence!

So, let’s get straight down to it and set the theme for the coming week….

This week’s theme is Transport

It’s been a couple of years since we had a transportation related theme, so it seemed a good one to have another go at. It’d be great if you could show us the types of transportation in your part of the world, whether it has 2 or 4 wheels, or even four legs! Here are some ideas I came up with while thinking about the different types of transport…

Going back to basics

There are still plenty of countries in the world where some modes of transport have legs rather than wheels. Hardy creatures, such as mules, are still a vital way to carry goods around in mountainous regions, where their surefootedness is more practical than a wheeled vehicle.

Here Simon Matzinger has done a fantastic job capturing two of these animals carrying a load through a stunning mountainous landscape.

Four wheels or two?

Of course, for most of us, the most common form of transport has wheels, be it a bicycle or a car. I live near Cambridge, a university city where the bicycle is incredibly popular - mostly because the area is devoid of hills. During the morning rush hour you’re hard pressed to cross some streets for the never ending flow of fast moving cyclists. A couple of weeks ago I encountered this young lady doing battle with a bridge over the River Cam. It’s not a steep hill, but is probably the biggest incline for miles!

Take to the skies

Of course, the skies also offer transportational opportunities. There are many historic aircraft still in action, which once upon a time, transported troops whose job was to protect our freedom. Today many of these are flown for our delight at airshows. Perhaps if you live in a part of the world which is currently in summer time this might be an option for your themed photo.

It’s not necessary to always photograph exotic subjects for the theme though. Millions of people use much more mundane aircraft to travel for work or pleasure each year and these can make good subjects too. I photographed this aircraft close to Stansted Airport and the cloudscape around the plane gives it a drama one wouldn’t normally expect from a commercial jet!

So there you have some ideas. The possibilities are almost endless, so why not get out there and shoot some of the varieties of transport in your local area? I’m looking forward to seeing the results!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 24th March
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We have no fewer than four winners for our documentary photography theme, shown below, and they cover a great range of subjects too.

Congratulations to everyone!

@popparatzee

@jolened

@peterphotowalks

@stanfordwebbie

(Russell Smith) #2

(Bob Rosenberg) #3

My other car is my horse.

(Lakshmi Bhat) #4

DSC02019
This vehicle is called Jhakda. We were in the state of Gujarat in 2011. We had been to Lothal, a site of the Indus valley civilization. It is a very colourful means of transport. It looks as if a cart is attached to a motor bike. About 15 people can sit in it and is a popular means of transport. The ticket is for each individual. We loved it. And we enjoyed talking to the people too.

(Kenny H) #5

“Road Trip”

(Gianluigi Gg) #6

Malindi Kenya

(Jolien Dekens) #7

(Bethany Plonski) #8

After transporting our kittens to the vet (again) this week, I thought I would try to get a picture of them in their little carrier. That didn’t work out, but they love paper bags, so I tried Plan B. Sorry for my silly entry! :smile:

(Helen Hooker) #9

I’m a bit late posting my contribution as I’ve been away. My transport picture is actually of the racing kind - Minis preparing for a testing day at the Goodwood Motor Circuit.