Weekly theme 4th November - Red

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hi everyone - I hope you’re all enjoying a good start to the new week. It’s been a while since we had a colour-based theme so I thought we’d put that right this week….

This week’s theme is Red

It’s been pretty grey and overcast here lately, so this particular colour seems a good way to inject a little colour into our lives! Our recent autumn theme was a little premature (for which I can only apologise!) but you might yet find some red tones among what remains of the seasonal colours in your local area. Leaves are an obvious choice, but there are other possibilities too, including these eye catching Fly Agaric fungi, photographed by Andreas.

Red is a colour we see all around us, in the man made world as well as nature. It’s often used as a warning, but Londoners will often associate it first with the buses we see running through the city. I captured this one near the Bank of England and chose to remove all colour from the image apart from the red tones. Colour popping may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there’s no harm once in a while!

Of course, if you’re short of time to get out and shoot, you can always create a still life image of your own at home. Here Terry Vlisidis has used a simple light bulb, but has lit it in such a way that it seems to glow red!

So there you have a handful of ideas to get you started. The possibilities are almost endless so it’ll be fascinating to see what we all come up with.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 10th November.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We have two winners for our personal projects theme. The first is @russsmith, who has been documenting the wildlife in his local park. He illustrated this with a gorgeous bird photo. Congratulations Russell!

The second winner is yours truly! I shared my new project to shoot in a more structured way, using just prime lens each month. I shared some autumn colour, shot near our house, just the first of many pictures to come, no doubt!

Thank you to everyone who shared their personal projects - it’s going to be fascinating to see more of your pictures as you continue with these.

(Berckmans Peter) #2

Congrats to your both

(Heidi Egerman) #3

Here is one of the reddest image I took this year. It was a good year for strawberries.

(Berckmans Peter) #4

Ah warmer days

(Lakshmi Bhat) #5

Congratulations to the winners :blush:

(Piotr Matura) #6

Last week’s theme had really nice entries! Congratulations to @russsmith and @girafferacing :slight_smile:

Unusually for me, I had quite a choice of suitable ones between my latest photos, but decided to post this one:

Just a little dot of red, but moving and flying! :smile:

(Jolien Dekens) #7

I know, not very original :stuck_out_tongue: But this little one is just too cute ^^

(Kenny H) #8

Better late than never.

(David Nurse) #9

Remember

(Jerry Spierenburg) #10

[quote=“girafferacing, post:1, topic:196696, full:true”]
Hi everyone - I hope you’re all enjoying a good start to the new week. It’s been a while since we had a colour-based theme so I thought we’d put that right this week….

This week’s theme is Red

It’s been pretty grey and overcast here lately, so this particular colour seems a good way to inject a little colour into our lives! Our recent autumn theme was a little premature (for which I can only apologise!) but you might yet find some red tones among what remains of the seasonal colours in your local area. Leaves are an obvious choice, but there are other possibilities too, including these eye catching Fly Agaric fungi, photographed by Andreas.

Red is a colour we see all around us, in the man made world as well as nature. It’s often used as a warning, but Londoners will often associate it first with the buses we see running through the city. I captured this one near the Bank of England and chose to remove all colour from the image apart from the red tones. Colour popping may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there’s no harm once in a while!

Of course, if you’re short of time to get out and shoot, you can always create a still life image of your own at home. Here Terry Vlisidis has used a simple light bulb, but has lit it in such a way that it seems to glow red!

So there you have a handful of ideas to get you started. The possibilities are almost endless so it’ll be fascinating to see what we all come up with.

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 10th November.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We have two winners for our personal projects theme. The first is @russsmith, who has been documenting the wildlife in his local park. He illustrated this with a gorgeous bird photo. Congratulations Russell!

The second winner is yours truly! I shared my new project to shoot in a more structured way, using just prime lens each month. I shared some autumn colour, shot near our house, just the first of many pictures to come, no doubt!

Thank you to everyone who shared their personal projects - it’s going to be fascinating to see more of your pictures as you continue with these.
[/quote]

(Helen Hooker) #11

I didn’t manage to shoot anything fresh for the red theme last week, so here’s a cute little Austin J40 pedal car from September!