Weekly theme 5th November 2018 - Abstract

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re having a great week!

This week we’ve got a more conceptual theme. We’ve used this one before, but that was a whole year ago so I thought we might revisit it.

This week’s theme is Abstract

Finding abstract images can be great fun. You could use other people’s art, perhaps photographing the work of an abstract painter or sculptor, but it’s more exciting to create your own!

But what is abstract photography? Well, it’s often about looking at subjects in a different way, looking for the play of light, or patterns, rather than clearly depicting what the subject is. If you want a full analysis of the concept, why not take a look at the Wikipedia article about it here.

One obvious avenue is to look for abstracts among architecture. Modern buildings are often a great playground for this sort of photography. The strong lines can create wonderful patterns, which often leave you wondering which way is up if used to create an abstract. For instance, in this picture by Maxime Le Conte des Floris, you can see that we’re looking up through a building towards the sky, if you concentrate hard enough. However, in my opinion, the image is even more successful when viewed in an abstract way - a mix of lines, light and shade.

My second example may also have been taken from a piece of architecture, although rather less new and shiny. Here Scott Rodgerson has turned a dilapidated piece of metalwork into something more abstract. Numbers and letters in photos often draw our eye, but by cutting them and making them incomplete Scott has simply made them part of the pattern.

Of course, there’s nothing to stop you creating your own abstract image at home, using whatever you have to hand. This smoke-filled image by Rawpixel, contains never ending shapes and you could imagine the curls and bumps as being elements of something completely different!

So I hope that’s inspired you to go and create some abstracts of you own. Please feel free to be as imaginative as you like. It’s entirely up to you whether you tell us how you created your image, or perhaps you’d rather leave us to guess for ourselves! Happy shooting!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 11th November
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

Once again, you all worked to create some interesting and varied pictures for our glass theme. Our runaway winner was @camellia with some absolutely gorgeous stained glass windows - congratulations!

(Berckmans Peter) #2

This is an older photo, still taken with my Panasonic. This construction is made like a very big beehive. Taken straight uo iy gives an abstract view.

(Berckmans Peter) #3

This is a WW2 monument in the shape of an upsidedown pyramid, made by 4 big mirrors. I looked for the top of this pyramid and took it head on.

(Kenny H) #4

I’m no Georgia O’keeffe, but this pansy macro looked pretty abstract to me. Tie dye anyone :grinning:

(Johanna Rosbäck) #5

From above.

(Camellia) #6

Thank you all for your votes and liking this photo. It is definitely one of my favorite captures for this year. It is so easy to capture nice photos when beauty is right in front of us :slight_smile:

(Helen Hooker) #7

I had the abstract theme in mind when I visited the International Centre for Birds of Prey a few days ago - Owl feathers make such beautiful abstract patterns.

(D Vgz) #8

modern architecture does not often interest me, but I liked the colours of this building

(Bethany Plonski) #9