Weekly theme 7th January 2019 - It's all in the detail

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hi everyone and a very happy new year to you all!

Now the celebrations are over, and we’ve made our photographic resolutions for 2019, it’s time to set the first theme of the new year. Let’s jump straight in……

This week’s theme is ‘It’s all in the detail’

The weather is pretty shocking at the moment for those of us who are in the depths of winter so I thought a theme you can shoot indoors (if you wish to) could be handy!

It’s up to you how you approach this. You could go for the close up approach, zooming in on those little details. It can be handy to have a macro lens for real close ups. Such lenses allow you to get really close to your subject. The definition of a macro lens is one that enables you to capture the subject life size on the camera’s sensor. Obviously that means you’ll be shooting something very small!

If you can’t stretch to the cost of a macro lens, extension tubes can be a cheap way to get closer. They are simply empty tubes which you mount between your lens and the camera body, reducing the minimum focus distance of the lens. Another cost effective option is to mount a close up filter onto the front of your lens.

Of course, you don’t even necessarily need to get that close. This is a feather I found abandoned by its owner on the beach some years ago. I photographed it using a cheap 50mm f1.8 lens but you can see every little detail in the feather.

If you have a macro lens and can get really close, don’t overlook shooting something mundane and drawing our attention to really tiny details we don’t see with the naked eye. For instance, here’s a picture I shot over a decade ago, using the macro lens I had then. As I laid out the poppy seedhead some of the seeds fell out onto the red paper. It was only when I looked at it more closely on my computer that I realised poppy seeds have tiny dimples!

If you don’t want to get that close to things, you can always share a detail from a shoot you’d done this week. When I’m doing my architectural work I tend to shoot wide, sweeping scenes and then go in for interesting details that tell more of the story. For instance, this harp-playing angel caught my eye in St. Albans Cathedral when we visited. I used a shallow depth of field to blur the background and focus the viewer’s eye on this intricate carving.

So there you have some suggestions, taken from my own catalogue. Now it’s your turn to get out and there zoom in on some interesting details. Happy shooting!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 13th January
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

Last week’s photographic resolutions theme showed what a keen bunch we all are and what an array of plans we all have. Having a winner of last week’s theme seems a little counterintuitive, but two of the posts gained more votes so congratulations to @camellia and @popparatzee for their posts about developing their macro and street photography respectively!

@camellia

@popparatzee

(Berckmans Peter) #2

The details that the artist of this sculpture put into these hands is amazing

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #3

(Camellia) #4

Thank you all who liked my photo. The purpose of the photo was to promote my goal more so than to gain votes. Nevertheless, I appreciate your vote of confidence. Hopefully I will have more photos to post as I achieve my goal :slight_smile:

(Camellia) #5

Wow Peter I thought that was a real hand until I read your description. Exceptional piece of work.

(Camellia) #6

(Berckmans Peter) #7

When I saw it first time on the pc ,I was surprised how detailed it is

(Gianluigi Gg) #8

**To write **

(Lakshmi Bhat) #9

A spider in its home.

(Kenny H) #10

Meet Simba, my Maine Coon. He hates haircuts.

(Berckmans Peter) #11

There is a missing detail😁

(Bethany Plonski) #12

(Lisa Britton) #13

The morning dew on the grass

(Heidi Egerman) #15

Weathered horseradish leaf. Converted to monochrome in Adobe Camera Raw

(Helen Hooker) #16

I got out of the house to shoot something fresh for the theme today. In Great Bardfield Church I found these flowers on a windowsill and loved the way the soft afternoon light was catching them. I’ve played around in Photoshop, adding some textures so give them a different feel. Frankly I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but it was fun experimenting and I quite like the end result!

(Rachel The Introvert) #17

Hope I’m doing this right! New around here and have never entered a theme contest before so hopefully I’m where I need to be.
The picture I entered is of the shower droplets coming down from the shower head. I got down underneath the shower head and shot straight up. I had the water directed off to the side so as to protect my camera. While it wasn’t effect I had in mind I still thought it came out really pretty and detailed :heart:

(Rachel The Introvert) #18

Shower droplets :droplet:

(Berckmans Peter) #19

You are on the right place😁

(Rachel The Introvert) #20

Thank you for the reassurance Peter! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #21

:flushed: Really?!? :joy: