Weekly theme 8th July 2019 - Landmarks

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone. I’m afraid I’m a few hours late with the theme this week - many apologies!

Our theme this week was suggested a while ago by @strohschneider-laue - thank you Sigrid! Let’s jump straight in and take a look…

This week’s theme is Landmarks

When Sigrid suggested this she was thinking in terms of landmarks in the places we all live, but I see no reason why you couldn’t choose a landmark somewhere else if you’re nowhere near home this week!

So what counts as a landmark? Well, it could be a structure that is central to the town where you live and is instantly recognisable to visitors. One of the most iconic landmarks, known by people all over the world, is the Eiffel Tower in Paris. It’s been photographed from every conceivable angle, but taking a really good picture of it is surprisingly hard. In this image by Pete Linforth the golden light and that amazing sky enhance the tower beautifully.

Of course, landmarks don’t have to be world famous icons - you could go for a structure close to your home which is well known to people locally. Why not use this theme to show us a little of where you live? For instance, this is John Webb’s Windmill - a disused windmill in the village of Thaxted, not far from where I live.

Remember too, that you don’t need to stick to just wide angle shots of your chosen subject. You could decide to go in for a close up, showing us something of the way it’s made. This is Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s Suspension Bridge in Clifton. When I visited recently I made all the obvious, scene-setting shots, but also went for some close ups to show how it was constucted.

I hope that’s given you some ideas and whetted your appetite for this week’s theme. Now it’s your turn to go out and shoot - I’m looking forward to seeing a little glimpse of where we all live!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 14th July
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

As I suspected, last week’s wildlife theme brought all sorts of creatures, from insects to flying dogs (yes, really!) and birds. We have two winners - congratulations to both of you!

@turtlesnaps share this cute bunny with us - all together now, “Aaah!”

@unicornlover brought us a glorious Monarch butterfly - isn’t nature just amazing?

(Kenny H) #2

Chinatown Archway, 11th and Arch, Philadelphia Pa

(Lakshmi Bhat) #3

The Venugopala temple, a very special landmark of our place. It integrates The architecture of Islam and Christianity and is a Hindu temple.

(Giancarlo Fosci) #4

Urbino rises from the trees - Italy

(Lisa Britton) #5

The lighthouse located at Oceanside, CA

(Bethany Plonski) #6

Thank you for liking my image last week! And Lisa, it looks like great minds think alike on this one. :smile: This is the lighthouse on St. Simon’s Island in Georgia.

(Gianluigi Gg) #7

Shanghai

(Jolien Dekens) #8

This is a small watchtower in Meldert. It is classified as one of the “sterrenplekjes” in Limburg (best translated as star place I think).

(Helen Hooker) #9

One of the landmarks in Cambridge - the Mathematical Bridge at Queens College. I may look curvaceous but it’s made entirely from straight pieces of timber.

(Piotr Matura) #10

It is a bit late, but I’ll post my entry anyway :wink:

Heavy Sky

Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin, Germany under heavy clouds, a few moments before rain - captured on film while on my latest trip, just a week ago.