Weekly theme 8th October 2018 - Wildlife

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - welcome to a new week!

I’m pleased to say I am now able to get back onto the forum so I can post the new theme. Many thanks to Ram for posting last week’s trees theme while I was locked out. Without further ado, let’s get on and set our theme for this week…

This week’s theme is Wildlife

I thought we’d continue the natural lines of last week’s theme, but go with our feathered and furry friends this time. I’ve purposely kept the theme very general so you can take any approach you want with this one - it could be animals, birds or even reptiles if you prefer!

The concept of wildlife immediately conjures up thoughts of exotic creatures, perhaps photographed while on safari. If you’ve been lucky enough to have an opportunity like this, like Jeff Lemond, do share one of your shots with us. Jeff photographed this magnificent pride of lions in Tanzania.

If you like the idea of photographing some exotic animals but don’t have the budget for long distance travel, don’t overlook the possibilities at your local zoo or wildlife park. You can often get quite close to the animals, removing the need for a very expensive telephoto lens. If you find the fences get in the way, try shooting at your longest focal length with a large aperture (small f number) to blur them out. I did exactly that to photograph this fox at the British Wildlife Centre recently and I was only a few feet away.

Of course, you can just as easily find wildlife in your own backyard or the local park. Putting out some sunflower seeds or the odd fatball may be all you need to tempt the local birdlife to come a little closer. Here Scott Johnson has captured a little beauty as it stopped by to take a drink of water.

So there are some ideas to get you thinking about what you might shoot - now it’s your turn add your own entries! Happy shooting!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 14th October
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We really seem to be on a roll with the weekly theme at the moment and it’s great to see so many entries coming in. This week we had two fabulous winning images for our trees theme - both monochrome and wonderfully atmospheric. Congratulations to both Heidi and Henri!

@heidiegerman

@henri05

(Kenny H) #2

“Sitting Pretty”

(Lisa Britton) #3

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #4

Ready to fly …

(Deli Tlb) #5

(Eric Devost) #6

I’m watching you

(Berckmans Peter) #7

A living dino

(Bethany Plonski) #8

Red-eared slider

(Enrico Sottocorna) #9

Farfalla Blu Morpho Menelaus America centrale e Meridionale

(Sherry Hill) #10

feeding the wildlife

(Helen Hooker) #11

I’m a bit late posting my entry but here’s a character I found hanging around outside our door earlier in the week.

(Gianluigi Gg) #12