Weekly theme 9th April 2019 - April Showers

(Helen Hooker) #1

I must start by apologising for being a day late with this week’s theme. I was travelling all day yesterday and have been at work today so this is my first chance to post the new theme. I promise to be better organised next week!

The subject of the new theme was suggested a while ago by @unicornlover and it seemed a good choice, given that we’re right in the middle of April……

This week’s theme is April Showers

I don’t know if the concept of April showers is a worldwide one, but I first encountered it through the song of the same name in the Disney film of Bambi, way back when I was a small child. I realise in some parts of the world April may not be a particularly wet month, so feel free to dive into your archives if you don’t get any wet weather to shoot this week!

Are you a fair weather photographer?

Many photographers avoid shooting in the rain, for fear of damaging their cameras. If you’ve got a professional model this is unlikely to be a problem, as high spec cameras tend to be weather proofed. If your camera isn’t weather sealed though, please don’t let that put you off! You might be able to find a sheltered spot to shoot from. If you can’t there are plenty of waterproof covers that can be bought cheaply - one of my favourites are the OpTech Rainsleeves, which are very inexpensive and come in packs of two.

If you ever stay in hotels, it’s also worth taking the complimentary shower cap with you from the room. They’re just the right size to pop over the top of your camera if you get caught out by an unexpected shower!

Why shoot in the rain?

A little rain can add so much atmosphere to a photo. Dark stormy clouds add drama and a coating of rain on pavements gives everything a glossy sheen, often bringing opportunities for reflections too.

In this beautiful image Lola Guti has captured a torrential downpour in Paris. You can almost feel how wet it is, with those shafts of rain bouncing back up from the pavement into the light.

Rainy days can be great opportunities for a spot of street photography, either capturing people battling with the elements (as in the photo above) or using steamed up windows to create a sense of atmosphere. This picture by Matteo Catanese very much reminds me of the wonderful work of Saul Leiter. His use of the rainy conditions and those vivid colours is just stunning!

If you don’t get a chance to go out and photograph in the rain, you could always use the aftermath as the starting point for your contribution to the theme. Here Johannes Plenio has created a beautiful photo from these tiny jewel like water droplets, sparkling in the sunlight.

So there are some images to inspire you to get out and shoot for this week’s theme. Now it’s over to you to get creative!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 14th April
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winners of the last theme

We had no fewer than three winners for our games theme last week, two of them sporting games and the third a feline one! Congratulations to you all!

@stanfordwebbie

@popparatzee

@turtlesnaps

(Kenny H) #2

“Rainy Day In Chinatown”

(Lakshmi Bhat) #3

p
Our monsoon season starts in June but we do get April showers but we are get any in my place. This is last year’s photo.

(Bethany Plonski) #4

We had rain overnight on Saturday followed by a beautiful sunny morning on Sunday. I love raindrops on plants and flowers. :smile:

Also, thank you for liking my photo last week!

(Olga Helys) #5

In the rain, a soaked hibiscus flower.

• NIKON D60
  • AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
  • 55.0 mm
  • f/5.6
  • 1/50s

(Helen Hooker) #6

It’s typical - we’ve had no rain at all this week (or for most of April so far!) so I’ve raided my back catalogue for a suitable wet image to post!