Weekly theme 9th December - Landscapes

(Helen Hooker) #1

Hello everyone - I hope you’re all having a great start to the week!

I thought we’d go for an old favourite with this week’s theme….

This week’s theme is Landscapes

Back in September we had an urban landscapes theme so I figured it was about time we went back to basics. With this one you can get out in the countryside and find some natural landscapes to shoot. Do remember though that you don’t need to always shoot dramatic vistas to make a great landscape photo - sometimes your local woodland or park can offer plenty of interesting photographic opportunities. Here are a few pictures to whet your appetite….

Last week I took a stroll in the local woods, just half a mile from our house. The trees still have a little autumn colour, but the bare tracery of winter branches can be just as beautiful.

Don’t overlook the possibility of getting out to shoot around dawn or dusk - the golden light of sunrise and sunset can make any landscape look glorious. During the winter, the shorter daylight hours also mean that the golden hour takes place at a sensible time of day, rather than a four in the morning! In this image Luca Micheli has made perfect use of the golden hour, and the low sunlight helps to sculpt the landcape.

Perhaps the weather where you live isn’t giving you many glimpses of the sun at the moment though/ Fear not - even bad weather can have its own beauty and be perfect for landscape photography. Take fog for instance - it can introduce a wonderful sense of layering into landscape images, which you just don’t see on a clear day. Here, Neven Mrcmarek has captured this layering perfectly.

So there you have a few ideas to get you started - now it’s your turn to get outside with your camera and create your own landscape images!

How to participate:

• Please submit your photo by midnight GMT on Sunday 15th December.
  • To submit a photo, hit the Reply button below and upload your image(s). Please limit each post to one image.
  • Please try to also share your picture on your page over the main Photoblog platform and encourage others to visit the theme thread to participate and vote.
  • To vote, click the :heart: heart icon.
  • If you post your picture early in the week, don’t forget to pop back to see what others have shared and to cast your votes!

Winner of the last theme

There were several different approaches to our creative restrictions theme last week, but the winner was this beautiful woodland shot by @peterphotowalks, where he restricted himself to a wide angle lens. Congratulations Peter!

(Anthony Moberg) #2

(Berckmans Peter) #3

Not a natural landscape, but created by mining

(Nancy Andrea D) #4

Hi, does the weekly theme photo needs to be a recent shot?

(Nick Ambrose) #5

Storm clouds over the Serengetti.

(Helen Hooker) #6

That’s gorgeous Nick - love those crepuscular rays!

(Nick Ambrose) #7

You can’t beat a few crepusculars Helen! :rofl:

(Berckmans Peter) #8

It can be,but if you do not have the time you can take an older one .

(Nancy Andrea D) #9

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #10

Winter is coming!
Kroatisch Geresdorf (Austria/Burgenland), Eastern Alps.

(Nancy Andrea D) #11

Sunrise

(Piotr Matura) #12

Morning Golden Hour
Taken on a chilly, foggy sunrise some 3 weeks ago, while autumn was still here :wink:

(Beam Buaplod) #13

Sunset over Songkhla Lake

(Helen Hooker) #14

I had to wait a while for this photo, as I shot it on the Rolleiflex my uncle has loaned me and I had to wait for the negatives to come back from being developed.