What are some of your other hobbies?

(Ram Ya) #1

Would love to know what other hobbies members have. Please share your other hobbies as well as what do you get out of them (peace, engagement, friends…etc).

Feel free to share a photo too.

Note: you can even use a past hobby that you’ve tried :slight_smile:

(Ram Ya) #2

I’ll go first. I used to have a fresh water (as opposed to saltwater) fish tank here in Canada. I love having fish as pets but the weather here doesn’t permit to have an outdoor pond. so I started a planted tank few a years ago.

To me, looking at a fish tank is the most peaceful thing in the world. Fish have their own world down there. It can be a very thriving community if you know a bit about how to keep up a tank (mainly you need to do water changes and watch for any algae–a balancing act between co2, light, and nitrogen.)

Here are some pics.

Would love to see/hear about some of yours

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #3

YES, @canon6d that is a great hobby and I loved it very much. I agree with you about every fact you wrote and I miss our fish tank (120 l)! :fish: :heart:

I collect for some years by now historic photographs of women. My partner in crime is my best friend - she is doing the scans. Our hunting grounds are fleamarkets - just today I bought some more … I already blogged a couple of times about my hobby:
https://www.photoblog.com/strohschneider-laue/2018/04/22/second-half-of-june-in-1909/

Sometimes I buy a very young Lady too …

… a special treat if there is also a pet!

(Ram Ya) #4

That’s a nice hobby, Sigrid. Do you try to collect their names and other details?
p.s. just saw your post and got my answer. Wow, it must be very interesting to have a window into their lives, specially when it is from a totally different era.

(Russell Smith) #5

Baking (more during winter) and cooking/bbq are my other two main hobbies outside of reading .

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #6

Thanks for sharing the pictures AND the recipes! Yesterday I wrote a review about a cookbook and in the end I mentioned the foodphotography too. Maybe you want to have a look upon webites/instagram of photographer and foodstylist for inspiration: Charlotte Tolhurst (photographer) and Maud Eden (stylist). Especially Maud Eden has some really good ideas.

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #7

Most of the time it’s about posture, decoration, jewellery, hairstyle and of course about photographers. Always the same, it’s more easy to follow up pictures of aristocrats and performers, but we don’t search for them primarely. I prefer women old, wrinkled and with glasses (rare!), my friend prefers, beautiful dresses and jewellery - so we got both sides of the mirror. :wink:

(Sherry Hill) #8

i always have a pen or pencil in my hand… so, my first hobby as a 3 year old is still my favourite hobby today… drawing…

which makes me want to dust off my artbooks… it’s been a while… :slight_smile:

(Russell Smith) #9

Quite a beautiful piece .

(Sherry Hill) #11

well thank you russ…

(Sigrid Strohschneider-Laue) #12

you are incredible talented!

(Sherry Hill) #13

Thanks Sigrid… i find it soothing to draw…

(Ram Ya) #14

Love the simplicity of this photo. Negative space and reduction take a lot of effort I bet.

(Sherry Hill) #15

thank you Ram… i have to force myself to leave a drawing “unfinished”… the details are the funnest part for me… hair/fur/feathers…