Statistics of Addiction in America. Although most people don’t get the treatment they need, over 3 million people in 2011 received treatment for their addiction.
- Over 20 million Americans over the age of 12 have an addiction (excluding tobacco).
- 100 people die every day from drug overdoses. This rate has tripled in the past 20 years.
- Over 5 million emergency room visits in 2011 were drug related.
- 2.6 million people with addictions have a dependence on both alcohol and illicit drugs.
- 9.4 million people in 2011 reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs.
- 6.8 million people with an addiction have a mental illness.
- Rates of illicit drug use is highest among those aged 18 to 25.
- Over 90% of those with an addiction began drinking, smoking or using illicit drugs before the age of 18.
(Information gathered from Addiction Center)