Photoshop brushes can be used in a variety of ways and can add much sought-after flair to your images. In this post, we will teach you how to install photoshop brushes, step-by-step with clear screenshots.
Despite their name, brushes can take many different forms, each one suited to different needs and requirements. For example, brushes can take the form of a simple drawing brush or realistic clouds. Using Photoshop brushes can transform your images into eye-catching displays of inspiring design.
What Is a Photoshop Brush?
An Adobe Photoshop brush is a tool that mimics brush lines and strokes. They can take the form of graphic elements such as; lines, textures, brush strokes or even real-world objects such as; clouds, sunsets, or grass.
The brush tool can be used by left-clicking on your mouse once or holding it down and swiping the mouse across the image to create flowing strokes of different colors, shapes, and thicknesses.
Photoshop brushes can be used by anybody from novices to experts and are simple to learn and quick to apply.
How to Install Photoshop Brushes?
- Locate and unzip the downloaded Photoshop brushes
- Open Photoshop and go to Edit > Presets > Preset Manager.
- At the top of the preset manage box, under “Preset Type” select “Brushes”.
- Click on the “Load” button and then select you Brush preset files (should be in .ABR format)
How to Install Photoshop Brushes (With Screenshots)
Here are the steps with screenshots included.
- First, locate the installed brush preset in your Downloads or chosen saved folder. If the file is in .zip format, either double click (on Mac) or right-click and select “extract” (on Windows). The brushes to install will be in .ABR format.
- Next, to install the downloaded brush in Photoshop, open the application and then click on the “Edit” tab in the top menu, and then select “Presets > Preset Manager”.
- Then, under “Preset Type” at the top of the preset manage box, click the drop-down arrow and select “Brushes”.
- Following this, select the “Load” button and click on the .ABR brush presets in your downloads or chosen saved folder and select “Open”.
- Your brushes will be installed in Photoshop. Now click “Done” to leave the preset manager window.
How to Use Photoshop Brushes?
To use your installed Photoshop brushes, simply follow the steps below:
- First, select the paintbrush tool on the left-hand side toolbar and ensure that you are working on a new layer.
- Next, click on the “Window” tab in the top menu and select “Brushes” in the drop-down menu. The brush palette window will open on the right-hand side toolbar.
- Then, select the brush style you wish to use and close the brushes palette by clicking the double right-facing arrows in the top right-hand corner of the palette box.
- Following this, to apply your selected brush, simply click on or hold-click and drag the cursor across your canvas layer.
How to Install Photoshop Brushes in Adobe Elements
Photoshop brushes can be installed and used in Elements through the steps below:
- Firstly, click on the “Edit” tab in the top menu bar and select “Preset Manager” from the drop-down menu.
- Next, select the “Preset Type” as “Brushes”, and then click on “Add” on the right-hand side of the preset manager box.
- Then, select the brushes you want to install from the “Downloads” or your chosen folder and click “Open”.
- Your brushes should be installed in your preset manager box and you can now click “Done” to leave the window.
- Next, to apply your brushes, open up a new blank canvas and select the paintbrush tool on the left-hand toolbar.
- Then, right-click on the blank canvas to open your paintbrush toolkit and select the brush you wish to use.
- Finally, in a similar way to Photoshop, simply click on or hold-click and drag across your canvas layer.
Why Are Photoshop Brushes Useful?
Photoshop brushes are useful for many things. They add a personalized flair to an image with a custom-drawn design. Brushes can also be used to create digital paintings, graphic art, and branding design.
A Photoshop brush is also used to create a variety of textures, lighting, and patterns to add depth and intricacy to your images. Adobe provides many brushes presets for use in its application, including wet and dry media, a variety of brush shapes and special effects.
Free Photoshop Brushes to Try Today
Lighting Photoshop brush presets used in this guide can be found at this website
I hope you have found this tutorial helpful and will soon be on your way to creating inspiring pieces of art with your newly-installed Photoshop brushes. Practise and perseverance are key, so keep experimenting with different styles, shapes, and forms until you find the perfect brush to compliment your design or image.
If you have any questions get in touch in the comments below and feel free to send through your Photoshop brush images – we’d love to see how your designs turned out!
Related Article: Photoshop Tutorials
Now that you’ve learned these tips for stunning photos, you’re a better photographer.
But the fact is, the journey doesn’t stop there. There are more tips, tricks, and secrets--all of which will help you take gorgeous photos.
And if you want to learn all of these secrets, I recommend you sign up for the PhotoBlog newsletter. We send our subscribers all sorts of great stuff--including the tips, tricks, and secrets, straight from the experts. All to help you capture world-class photographs.
Did I mention that it’s all totally FREE?
(Oh, and we’ll send you a natural lighting cheat sheet--designed to help you use light in ways you’ve never considered.)
So to start taking stunning photos, enter your email:
Download FREE Photography Lighting Cheat Sheet
Subscribe and get a free downloadable photography lighting cheat sheet