The Big Red Lighthouse is standing at the access to Lake Michigan from Lake Macatawa. A steam operated fog signal was installed first there in 1907. Two coal fed boilers produced steam to sound the locomotive whistle. A light stood adjacent to it as a separate structure until 1936 when the Coast Guard consolidated the two by putting a light tower on top of the fog signal.
The view from the Mount Pisgah dunes to Lake Michigan and the Big Red