The Ohel Jakob synagogue

by Mikkal Noptek July. 13, 2012 3512 views

June 27, 2012

The Ohel Jakob synagogue (from Hebrew: ??Jacob's Tent?) was built 2004-2006 as the new main synagogue of the Munich Jewish community, located at Sankt-Jakobs-Platz. The synagogue was inaugurated on November 9, 2006. The building is part of the new Jewish Center consisting of the synagogue, the Jewish Museum Munich and a community center. The synagogue was designed by architects Rena Wandel-Hoefer and Wolfgang Lorch who were awarded the contract after an architecture competition on July 6, 2001. The building is a cubic structure of travertine stone topped by a glass cube. The glass roof represents a tent (or Ohel), symbolizing Moses' 40-year-journey through the desert. The main portal was manufactured in Budapest and features Hebrew letters depicting the 10 commandments. Munich's original main synagogue was destroyed in June 1938 and stood a few blocks away from the new synagogue, on ground that is now a parking ramp. In 2003, German authorities uncovered a plot by a group of neo-Nazis to bomb the ceremony to lay the cornerstone for the building.

  Be the first to like this post
Join the conversation
4
There are 4 comments , add yours!
Dunja 8 years, 6 months ago

C'est excellent ! Merci pour le partage !

8 years, 6 months ago Edited
Finbarr 8 years, 6 months ago

Nice place !!

8 years, 6 months ago Edited
Josy 8 years, 6 months ago

J'aime cette architecture assez dépouillée mis forte et le résumé historique ! Comme d'habitude votre curiosité fait des heureux !

8 years, 6 months ago Edited
Olga Helys 8 years, 6 months ago

So interesting
Thanks for sharing

8 years, 6 months ago Edited
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com