Liaquat Hall - Frere Hall

by Pakistan - پاکستø§Ù† September. 30, 2007 9464 views

Raised in memory of Sir Bartle Frere (Commissioner of Sindh 1851-1859, this Venetian Gothic style building was designed by Colonel Clair Wilkins whose proposal was selected from 12 entries, in what was perhaps the first recorded architectural design competition for a public building in Sindh. Completed in 1865 at a cost of Rs.1,80,000 out of which Rs. 22,500 was raised for the memorial through public donations, the building was officially inaugurated by Commissioner Mansfield on 10th Oct. 1865. The gardens around the building were added in 1887-88 by Mr. Benjamin Flinch. Originally the statues of Queen Victoria and King Edward (both of which have now been removed), adorned the garden. The upper floor of this two storied yellowish Karachi limestone building, consists of a 70 ft x 24 ft hall and an orchestral gallery. In yesteryears this building was the hub of Karachi’s socio-cultural activities and also served as a Town Hall with regular public meetings, concerts and theatrical performances. The ground floor is now occupied by the Liaquat Municipal Library.

Join the global network of friends for Free [crome.us]

Location: Abdullah Haroon Road, Karachi

  Be the first to like this post
Join the conversation
0
Be the first one to comment on this post!
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com