The Lahore Fort, locally referred to as Shahi Qila citadel of the city of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. It is located in the northwestern corner of Lahore, adjacent to the Walled City. Some of the famous sites within the fort are: Sheesh Mahal, Alamgiri Gate, Naulakha pavilion, and Moti Masjid. The fort is 1,400 feet long and 1,115 feet wide. In 1981, the fort was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with the Shalamar Gardens. -
wiki [en.wikipedia.org] [crome.us] Join the global network of friends for free!
Behind Alamgiri Gate
The Jharoka (Royal Balcony) where emperors used to appear before public and examine elephant march. The balcony is made of white marble and supported with brackets of red stone.
Diwan-e-Aam: Hall of Public Audience
Shah Jahan's Quadrangle, with a row of rooms on the east side and Shah Jahan's Diwan-i-Khas along the north side. This elegant pavilion of pure white marble screens, mosaic floors, and wide arches served the emperor as a place where he met special guests. It's parapet is embellished with pietra dura work. It has a marble ceiling, and floors in beautiful geometric patterns in marble.
Naulakha Pavilion, built by Shah Jahan in 1632, is located on the western side of the Shish Mahal courtyard. It consists of a single rectangular room in marble with a typical convex roof in the style of a Bengal hut. It has three openings in front, one on each side, and a perforated marble screen at the back. It is a superb specimen of extremely minute and delicate pietra dura work in semi-precious stone, with beehive ornamentation on its pillars.
The central pool in Jahangir's Quadrangle with a number of fountains and a marble platform.
Jahangir's Quardangle was begun by Akbar and completed by Jahangir in 1618 AD. On the east and west it is surrounded by a row of dalans (porticoes) in the trabeate (beam and bracket) style. There is a large garden inside the quadrangle with a spacious tank in the centre.
Zenana Sehan (Ladies' Courtyard), built by Shah Jahan in 1633. It was primarily built for the ladies of the harem and was specifically designed with paved paths or walks for the ladies of the fort. In the center of the garden there is a big water basin, made of red sandstone. Only the foundations of the ladies apartments and their private mosque survive.