Dane John Gardens - A historic park within Canterbury city's walls which dates back to 1551, and includes a mound which historical records prove was there in the first century AD. In 1790, local dignitary Alderman James Simmons laid out the park into formal gardens. In 1999, Canterbury City Council completed a million pound renovation of the park supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and local sponsorship. Dane John Gardens The Westgate is a medieval gatehouse in Canterbury, Kent, England. This 60-foot-high western gate of the city wall is the largest surviving city gate in England. Built of Kentish ragstone around 1379, it is the last survivor of Canterbury's seven medieval gates, still well-preserved and one of the city's most distinctive landmarks. The road still passes between its drum towers, and there is just enough room for a double-decker bus to pass beneath. This scheduled monument and Grade I listed building houses the hundred-year-old West Gate Towers Museum, which since May 2009 is open to the public during limited hours (11am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 3:30pm) on Saturdays and by special arrangement for groups on weekdays. Previously to this the museum had been open six days a week. Access to the museum and roof is via spiral staircases only. Westgate The Hospital of St. Thomas the Martyr of Eastbridge is situated on the King's-bridge, near the Westgate, in Canterbury. It was built shortly after, probably in 1176, the death of Thomas Becket (a clergyman of the Middle Ages) who was most famous for being assassinated in his own cathedral. After his death, Canterbury Cathedral became a site of pilgrimage, and the hospital provided accommodation for the pilgrims.For many years, no special statutes were enacted, nor were any rules laid down for the treatment of pilgrims, till the site devolved to the jurisdiction of Stratford. During the reign of Edward III, he created certain ordinances, as well as a code of regulations to be acted on concerning pilgrims. He also appointed a master in priest's orders, under whose guidance a secular chaplain served. He ruled that every pilgrim in health could rest in the lodgment for one night at the cost of four pence, that weak and infirm applicants were to be preferred to those with better health, and that women “upwards of forty” should attend to the bedding and administer medicines to the sick.This institution survived the general suppression of monasteries and buildings of its cast during the reigns of Henry VIII and Edward VI. Afterward, it alternated between the possession of private families and that of brothers belonging to the establishment. By 1827, it was being used as a school.