Sliders and Potato Chips

by Russell Smith November. 28, 2018 246 views

I had taken the leftover BBQ (shredded pork South Carolina Style ) and put it in the freezer . We decided that a good meal would be BBQ Sliders with a Carolina Mustard Sauce and Chips would be a good meal. Overall I am about 80% happy with the light I used . If I had been able to fend off the hungry hordes I could have gotten the other 20% the way I wanted . It was a matter of digging out either the reflector or led light so I could put some more light on the front side of the sliders. The bowl I choose for the chips is a bit on the large side in comparison to the sandwhichs so next time I will take that into account. I am still unsure about the camera angle as it is approx. a 45degree angle to the food . This is something I will have to play with and see if I like it more with a different camera angle.

Join the conversation
17
There are 17 comments , add yours!
Camellia Staab 1 year, 2 months ago

The bowl of chips overpowers the rest and yes you did mention that the bowl was big. If sliders were not involved in my opinion it is a very good picture of the chips. As for the sliders I think having the lens at the same level as the sliders might have made a difference, not sure the perspective makes them stand out.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Camellia Staab 1 year, 2 months ago

That is a good point . I am not sure why I did not consider bringing the camera angle down I think I was too fixated on part of the image .

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Andi Saw 1 year, 2 months ago

I had broccoli for dinner... 
Pls adopt me!

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Andi Saw 1 year, 2 months ago

smile with pleasure .

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Andi Saw Replied to Russell Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

YEAH !!! smile 
Thank you!

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Heike 1 year, 2 months ago

Great food-photo. Looks delicious! I would like to crawl now into the monitor to get it...yum

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Heike 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank you :)

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Bethany Plonski 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice! I like all the golden brown tones in this one. Do you usually rely on natural light or artificial? Or both?

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Bethany Plonski 1 year, 2 months ago

Both. I love mixing the two. This one however was all artifical. Flash was camera right with a white bounce card on the left I should have added an led or another light to sneak some light onto the front of the sliders.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Bethany Plonski Replied to Russell Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Cool, thank you. I would have guessed that it was both here.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Bethany Plonski 1 year, 2 months ago

Bringing the light in close has help give it a less flash look and a more natural light. Once my phone is charged I know I have a similar light setup on the cranberry muffins that I can post (pull back shot) if you would like .

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Bethany Plonski Replied to Russell Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank you, that would be great if you have time. For the most part, I have always hated what my pictures look like with a flash, but I’m sure they'd look better if I take the time to learn how to use it properly. Food photography might be the motivation I need for that.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Bethany Plonski 1 year, 2 months ago

The differences in the two shots are the flash is to the right and there is no led . But moving the flash in helps simulate daylight . If you go to the muffins shot there is no daylight in that shot it was a 99% black frame if the flash was off.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Bethany Plonski Replied to Russell Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing that, it helps a lot to see the actual setup!

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Bethany Plonski 1 year, 2 months ago

For me it has been a case of screwing things up and trying to not make the same mistake the next time I screw it up now I feel like I am starting to get it right or at least I am headed that way .

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Berckmans Peter 1 year, 2 months ago

Looks tasty. The angle for the chips looks good to me,for the buns a bit lower would be nice. I think it depents wich is the main part you want to show of. Not easy to showcase both in one shot.

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Berckmans Peter 1 year, 2 months ago

That is very true .

1 year, 2 months ago Edited
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com