9-15 Pano and Couple of Birds...

by Russell Smith September. 16, 2019 239 views

This past weekend we ran down to Jacksonville, Fla. I had to deliver a camera and the other part was to check on my mom. Unfortunately the last round of Chemo had some adverse effects and it caused her to go the hospital. So while stuck in the room she was glad to have visitors.

Just down the road from her house there is one of many Bird Islands.... I too the long lens to see what I could see and maybe grab a shot or two. While there I liked the light on the island so I decided to try and do a freehand pano. 5 shots overlapping a fair amount to make it easier to stitch together. I should have brought the tripod down because the image is slightly soft and with a tripod I could have gotten a lower iso and a sharper photo. A part of the blur is due to the wind blowing but I would say that is less than 10% of the issue. The other 90% is operator error or better known as an ID 10 Tee error.

Just behind the treeline in the background is a shopping plaza and 2 cell towers that eagles have nested in. To the right of the frame is a main road so this is a case of nature making itself home inspite of humans.

I wanted to have the heron take about 10-15 steps to its left but my instructions fell on deft ears so I went with this framing. Just a quick grab shot nothing overly special.

Green Heron. The background is well less than ideal but I thought it was cool because honestly it is only about 10 yards off the road in a slew coming off of the St Johns River. Behind me is clear water and all of the duck week has blown across the road(under and through the drain pipes) to this side.

I could not get the sticks out of the frame so I went with it the main thing I like about this photo is its foot is being raised.

Join the conversation
6
There are 6 comments , add yours!
Antonio Gil 1 year, 8 months ago

You've done it again smile Love the pano

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Antonio Gil 1 year, 8 months ago

I appreciate it :)

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Camellia Staab 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think I have ever seen a green heron, cool looking bird. Your pano looks fine to me, maybe it's my eyesight 😉. Hope your mom feels better soon.

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Camellia Staab 1 year, 8 months ago

They are very small and honestly if they have their necks up in grass they are super easy to miss. Honestly I missed this guy sitting on a tree for a good 10 min because it looked like part of the branch (and I was trying to figure out if something was trash or aligator)

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Berckmans Peter 1 year, 8 months ago

Nice birds, here this year almost none. Hope your mom gets better. Chemo can be hell.

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Russell Smith Replied to Berckmans Peter 1 year, 8 months ago

Thank you. It can be and for the most part she has been lucky because there have been very few ill results.

1 year, 8 months ago Edited
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com