By now we had been looking for locations to move. Virginia was an almost. I loved the area found a place to rent within our budget that was 10 min from my wifes work and 400 meters from the A.T. (Appalachian Trail). Then the virus shut down relocations all relocations not just out of state locations. We kept applying and by we I mean my wife would say branches are open in X,Y,Z locations. I would do a search for cost of living, crime, things to do in the area for all three of us and then tax rates for the area plus climate and well natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes,fires,floods....) . I would let her know which ones were a yes and which ones were a hard no and then ones that I was not sure about her feelings on so she needed to look at. She would apply for the ones we agreed on and then wait. After a number of either no responses or no we have someone already she interviewed for Jackson, Tn.
In this time my moms health went down hill super fast like in 10 days so she did not suffer on for a long time. Prior to that she was at the beach and a few other small trips or walks around the neighborhood to see what she could see. Unfortunately for her the virus canceled most of her outings or trips but she made the best of it.
The process seemed to take forever and moved at a snails pace. Then all of the sudden it hit warp speed. We liked the area when we visited back in 2019 so we had a general idea of the area without doing research. The problem is that when we moved the rental market was tight like very little open so we were starting to stress when I found a photo of a place that looked cute.
I called the phone number listed and the manager (owner) sent over some more photos of the inside of the house. From the photos we decided that we were going to apply for the house and pray that we liked it when we go there. I know it was a bit on the crazy side but with me as long as I am listening to the voice inside (gut feeling) I have never been steered wrong. Fast forward 10 days and we were at this house unloading the part of the old house that we took with us in our car.
With everything going on I went to the park a bit more to get out in nature and enjoy nature.
The same day I saw this little guy and by little I mean smaller than a quarter coiled up like this. I wish I could have circled around and gotten this shot from the front side so more of its head was in focus. It is a Cotton Mouth or Water Moccasin. Its Latin name translates to Hook Toothed Fish Eater which is a great description of the snake .
The best shot of the Prothonotary Warblers that I got this year it had just gotten done eating a moth that it bashed on the branch a number of times. This one is the female the males are even brighter colored.
There are a number of other photos on my Hard Drive that I have not even looked at yet from the park so there maybe some more shots from the park.
I am planning on going to some public land this afternoon to do a scouting trip. My mom was in the market for a new camera last summer and after sitting down and finding out what features she wanted and what uses it would be for she decided that Olympus EM5 Mark 2 (the 3 was not out yet) would be a good fit for her. It came with a 14-150 and she picked up a 75-300. So that gave her one weather resistant lens the 14-150 and a long lens the 75-300 (150-600 ff equiv). When she passed away she gave the camera to me so now I use that camera for scouting trips or times that the weight of the canon and 150-600 are too much for me on that day. Until a month or two ago I had plans on swapping over to Olympus for my every day shooting. Now I am unsure about it and will wait to see what happens after the brand transfers over to the new "owners" . If I do not like the direction I will back up punt and do more research on what direction I want to go with my gear. Maybe Fuji but time will tell .