Stanley Dock is part of Liverpool's remarkable maritime heritage. It is within Liverpool's World Heritage Site, the centrepiece of the Stanley Dock Conservation Area and includes many listed buildings, including the Grade II* North Warehouse. The dock itself opened in 1848 to the design of the dock engineer Jesse Hartley who had previously designed the more celebrated Albert Dock ensemble, closer to the city centre. The North and South Warehouses and Hydraulic Pumping Station were completed by 1855. In 1901, the 14 storey Tobacco Warehouse was completed in the infilled southern half of the dock. The east end of the North Warehouse was damaged in an air raid in 1941 and rebuilt in 1953 as a rum warehouse.
Part of the dock has been restored and is now The Titanic Hotel, which is a lovely place to stay when visiting Liverpool. Hopefully one day the old Tobacco Warehouse restoration will be finished and this dock will thrive like the Albert Dock does today