There are many historic cinemas in the north some are still cinemas but sadly many have now closed or have developed new uses
This cinema has had more owners than most, starting of as an original Oscar Deutsch built Odeon in 1936, before passing through Star Cinemas(1971), Cannon, Virgin(1995), ABC(1996) and finally an enterprising independent – Northern Morris Associated Cinemas(2003).
The Odeon was designed by architect W. Calder Robson from the Harry Weedon practice and opened on 7th November with Gary Cooper in “Mr Deeds Goes to Town”. There were 950 stalls and 642 circle seats. The auditorium was very pleasant with a wide proscenium preceded by a metal fret-work feature which ran up the side walls and across the ceiling. Lighting was indirect from plaster troughs across the ceiling and around the proscenium arch. The circle had extended arms providing emergency exits from the screen end of the cinema at the balcony level.
The exterior was less successful with an elegant ‘Odeon’ style facade to King Street but some very unflattering views of the bulky auditorium from every other side! A tall slender faiance tiled fin with the Odeon lettering prominent at the top, and a row of shops were provided in the scheme.
The Art Deco style Glenroyal Cinema, Shipley opened on 5th September 1932 at 2;30pm with the film "Emma" and a live jazz band on the small stage.
It was designed by architect Ernest H. Dawson of Manchester and seated 1,200, including 350 in the balcony. An unusual feature of the Glenroyal Cinema was five large windows with internal geared shutters, which could flood the auditorium with natural light.
There was a 2Manual Hammond organ on a rising lift which was regularly played until the cinema closed, when it was removed to a Working Mens Club nearby. CinemaScope was installed in 1955, and the capacity of the hall was reduced slightly.
The Glenroyal Cinema closed on 8th December 1962 with Shirley MacLaine in "The Loudest Whisper". It was immediately converted into a bingo club operated by the Star Cinemas chain, which later became owned by EMI. Walkers reopened the Glenroyal Cinema in 1990 again for bingo, by this time a false ceiling had been installed at balcony level, only the ground floor of the building was used.
This too closed around 2008, and the building has lain derelict ever since. It was destroyed by a fire in the early hours of 18th January 2013.
The Futurist Scarborough was built as a cinema in 1921. It remained in this role until 1958 when the stage was extended to allow live performances at the venue.
Stephen Joseph Theatre, Scarborough opened as a cinema in 1936 it was opened by the Odeon group and closed in 1988
The Plaza is a traditional single screen cinema in the market town of Skipton, North Yorkshire.Designed by architect and engineer, Jonathan Varley, it was built as a temperance hall in 1873, but was converted into a cinema in 1912. The Temperance Hall, acquired its present ornate entrance in 1915 following its reopening as the Gem Picture Palace. In its early days it functioned as a music hall with films as part of the entertainment, then was acquired in the early 1920s by Matthew Hartley & Son. For three generations it stayed in the family, until it went up for sale in 1998 and was bought by Mr. Charles Morris to become a Northern Morris Cinema.
The Palladium, Llandudno was built 1920 but probably designed prior to 1914. Originally with two balconies and boxes, the interior was subdivided but not completely gutted to create a cinema and bingo. Conversion to a Wetherspoons pub resulted in major repairs, removal of subdivisions and restoration of much of the auditorium decoration. A ‘viewing gallery’ has been inserted on the stage. The Palladium has a splendidly robust Edwardian baroque stuccoed façe. The central bay, above the entrance, has giant Ionic demi-columns supporting a triangular rusticated arch and a large oriel window. Symmetrical square flanking towers, with angle pilasters carrying segmental pediments, and surmounted by octagonal domes.
The former Odeon in Bradford is now being restored as an entertainment venue
The building in Godwin Street was completed in 1930 as the New Victoria. It is on the site of William Whittaker's brewery and malting, which had closed in 1928. It is a Renaissance Revival building designed by the architect William Illingworth, with copper-covered cupolas on two corners complementing those on the neighbouring Bradford Alhambra theatre. The New Victoria combined a 3,318-seat auditorium, 450 square feet (42 m2) ballroom and 200-seat restaurant. The auditorium was primarily a cinema, but also a concert and ballet venue with a stage, orchestra pit, Wurlitzer organ and excellent acoustics.
As a cinema it was the third largest in Britain when it opened, with only the Trocadero at Elephant and Castle and Davis Theatre at Croydon being larger. By 1930 cinemas had converted to screen sound pictures, which had been introduced in 1927, but the New Victoria was the first cinema in Britain to be purpose-built for "talkies". It was built at a cost of £250,000 for Provincial Cinematograph Theatres, backed by the Gaumont British Picture Corporation. In 1950 the complex was renamed the Gaumont, by this time both the Odeon and Gaumont circuits were controlled by Circuits Management Association Ltd., a subsidiary of the Rank Organisation. With the city's Odeon scheduled for re-development by Bradford Corporation, Rank decided to redevelop the Gaumont as a twin cinema and bingo club and on 30 November 1968 it closed for nine months. By the time that the building was ready to re-open, the original Odeon had been closed for five months and the new complex opened on 21 August 1969 with the Odeon name.