The canal runs a 127 miles between Leeds and Liverpool and was completed in 1816 since then it has been a commercial highway between two of the most important cities across the north. Sadly these days it is mainly used by recreational users
As you approach Saltaire you can see the tower of Salts Mill which dominates the area
Salts Mill and the village of Saltaire were built by Sir Titus Salt in the 1850s. Today the mill has been adapted and offers an art gallery and a nice cafe
Leeds Liverpool Canal Company warehouse, Shipley
Former Canal Company Warehouse by Victoria Street Bridge: The Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company built this red brick warehouse in 1928 for the storage of wool and was extended in 1932. It completes the progression of Canal Company warehouses from Wharf Street. The warehouse is built on top of the bank of the canal and follows the shape of a basin which branches off the canal. The basin was cut in the second half of the 19th century and was previously surrounded by wharves, one of which remains in a neglected and overgrown state on the eastern side of the basin. A broad, covered loading area supported by brick piers extends across the basin. It is clad in corrugated metal, and its roof, like the rest of the building, is covered with corrugated metal, which are the original materials for this building. On the same elevation is a gabled loading bay, which was formerly covered. The fixed multi-pane windows have stone cills and lintels and a stepped brick gutter shelf carries the guttering. The chamfered corner of the warehouse has quoined angles and contains a bay of wider windows. Overlooking the canal is a pair of gables, one of which contains a loading bay, this one is still covered, but the cladding is incomplete and damaged. Unfortunately this key building has languished empty for some time and is badly neglected. The gutters are overgrown and the walls are being damaged by rainwater and damp, with vegetation sprouting out between the bricks.
5 Rise locks at Bingley is one of the great wonders of the canal network. It is the steepest flight of locks in the country raising the canal nearly 60 feet in 320 feet. The old stable clock has been converted into a cafe