The Florence Duomo, also known as Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral, is located in Duomo Square, its construction began at the end of the 13th century under the design of Arnolfo di Cambio, a famous architect and sculptor who loved the Gothic style.
When di Cambio passed away, the construction of the cathedral was postponed and was resumed in 1334 by Giotto who designed the bell tower. The Giotto’s Campanile is 85 m high and it is possible to climb to the top through its 414 steps.
Brunelleschi sculpted the statues for the dome and designed an innovative project to make the Florentine Cathedral the largest of its time.
Brunelleschi started with the construction of the project by 1421, the polygonal base had already been completed while the dome was completed 15 years later.
The red dome of the cathedral was then the largest in the world, 45 m in diameter and 100 m high and soon became the symbol of Florence.
In the mid of the 14th century, Florentine artists put aside the Gothic style and incorporated the Roman style. The Gothic air of the cathedral was hidden behind the red marble of Siena, the white of Carrara and the green of Prato.
The Baptistery is the oldest religious site in all of Florence. In 1128, it was consacrated as the Baptistery of Florence and as such is the oldest religious monument in Florence. Up until the end of the 19th century, all catholics in Florence were baptized within its doors.
Lorenzo Ghiberti’s ‘gates of Paradise’
The complex of the Cathedral of Florence is located in Duomo Square and includes the huge dome of Brunelleschi, the soaring Campanile of Giotto and the Baptistery of St. John. Together they determine the silhouette of the city. The construction of the Cathedral of Florence began in 1296 and finished in 1368 under the design of the architect Arnolfo di Cambio.