Piazza del Campo in Siena

by Steven Seidell November. 06, 2019 73 views
Entering "il Campo." The main square was built on the intersection of the three main roads that lead to a from Siena.

Entering "il Campo." The main square was built on the intersection of the three main roads that lead to a from Siena.

The square is paved with a fishtail design of red brick divided by 10 lines of white travertine stone creating a shell-like appearance with 9 sections pointing directly to Palazzo Pubblico, the civic headquarters.

The square is paved with a fishtail design of red brick divided by 10 lines of white travertine stone creating a shell-like appearance with 9 sections pointing directly to Palazzo Pubblico, the civic headquarters.

Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia

Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia

The home of the famous Government of Nine. The Palazzo Pubblico faces Piazzo del Campo - where the entire medieval population would meet for civic and cultural affairs.

The home of the famous Government of Nine. The Palazzo Pubblico faces Piazzo del Campo - where the entire medieval population would meet for civic and cultural affairs.

Medici Crest

Medici Crest

Reflection from a window of the Palazzo

Reflection from a window of the Palazzo

Directly opposite of the Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia, the Fonte Gaia was the pride and joy of Siena built in 1346. The fountain is fed by underground tunnels that extend over 30 km, bring necessary water into the city center.

Directly opposite of the Palazzo Pubblico and the Torre del Mangia, the Fonte Gaia was the pride and joy of Siena built in 1346. The fountain is fed by underground tunnels that extend over 30 km, bring necessary water into the city center.

The marble carvings that you see today are copies created by Tito Sarrocchi of the original commissioned in 1409 by Jacopo della Quercia. The original sculptures and base reliefs are protected in a museum.

The marble carvings that you see today are copies created by Tito Sarrocchi of the original commissioned in 1409 by Jacopo della Quercia. The original sculptures and base reliefs are protected in a museum.

Siena, Italy

  Be the first to like this post
Join the conversation
0
Be the first one to comment on this post!
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com