The Liberty Ship Memorial

by Steven Seidell August. 24, 2021 105 views

This scenic point of land overlooking Portland Harbor, where Bug Light Park stands today, was once home to a sprawling World War II Shipyard that covered 140 acres of land, including over 60 buildings, and had the capacity to build up to 13 ships at one time. Between 1941 and 1945, the South Portland Shipyards built 266 cargo vessels, 236 of which were Liberty Ships, contributing immeasurably to the Allied victory in World War II.

The Liberty Ship Memorial was conceived as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who worked at the South Portland Shipyards; the seamen who faced the dangers of war on board the Liberty Ships; all of those who served in the war and their families; and the South Portland residents who shared their backyard with a booming shipyard.

Portland, Maine

  Be the first to like this post
Join the conversation
0
Be the first one to comment on this post!
Up
Copyright @Photoblog.com